Ink Splatter. Question. What Solvents Will Remove Ink ?. PURPOSE. THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO DETERMINE WHAT SOLVENTS WILL REMOVE INK. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW BECAUSE CLOTHES ARE EXPENSIVE. IF YOU GET INK ON THEM, YOU WOULD WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET IT OUT. HYPOTHESIS.
What Solvents Will Remove Ink ?
WE HYPOTHESIZE THAT VINEGER WILL REMOVE INK. WE BELIEVE THIS BECAUSE FOR MANY YEARS IT WAS USED FOR CLEANING THINGS.
Responding: the amount of ink removed
Controlled: the fabric type and size, amount of solvent, the amount of ink, rag, dropper, and method of rubbing stain
1. Put 5 pieces of 5 cm by 5 cm fabric on a table
2. Place ink in a dropper
3. Drop 5 drops of ink on each fabric square
4. Label fabric square A,B,C,D and E
5. Label spray bottle A,B,C,D and E
6. Put water in spray bottle A , vinegar in B, alcohol in C , detergent in D and hair spray in E
7. Spray cloth piece A with 5 sprays of spray bottle A. Repeat with B, C , D and E.
8. Try to rub ink out with a rag. Rub each pieces for 30 seconds.
9. Record the degree the stain is removed using a rating scale of 0 -10 with 0 being no change and 10 being completely removed.
10. Repeat 1-9 for four more trials
Our hypothesis was incorrect. We found out detergent removes ink the best. The average ink removal rate of water was 5.8, vinegar’s average was 5.4, detergent’s average was 6.6, and alcohol's average was 4.0. If we had to do this again, we would put 5 drops of ink on the cloth, put the solvents in a tube, and shake for 1 minute. This might give us difference results.