Asbestos : Country Profile BANGLADESH. Dr. S M Morshed Vice Chairperson, OSHE. Bangladesh Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Foundation ( OHSE ) www.oshebd.com. Presentation outline. Demographic and Socio Economic Date
Dr. S M Morshed
Vice Chairperson, OSHE
Bangladesh Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Foundation (OHSE)
1. Bangladesh Customs Tariff Code (BCTC) mentioned of asbestos as importable items
2. BCTC classifiably mentioned asbestos cement, fabricated asbestos of fibers, mixtures with a basis of asbestos, compressed asbestos fibers jointing, in sheets or rolls, friction materials containing asbestos.
Source – Bangladesh Bank
There is no specific survey findings on how many workers are exposed to asbestos in the country.
a) Construction Industry
b) Car manufacturing Industry
c) Ship breaking Industry
d) Shoe Making Industry
e) Electronic Pen Production Industry
f) Food Production Industry
g) Shoe making Industry
h) Paper production industry
Workers show a reluctant attitude even when they hear about possible harmful affects of asbestos exposure as they never heard anybody suffering from any diseases due to this.
1. Inadequate Information on Asbestos
2. Lack of understanding at different levels
3. Lack of interest among Govt. agencies
to explore asbestos related information
4. Lack of Media Role on asbestos as public health issue
5. Importers are not aware on health hazard of asbestos.
6. Lack of research on asbestos in public health domain
7. Lack of diagnosis and identification asbestos victim
a) Conducting basic research and compilation of information from secondary sources
b) Sharing findings with stakeholders
Y O U
S O M U C H