CHAPTER 14 ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE AND DESIGN
ESSAY TYPE QUESTIONS • 1. What are some of the major functions of organization structure? • 2. What are the problems that result from Structural deficiencies? • 3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a flat organization structure? • 4. Distinguish between tall and flat organization structures? • 5. Discuss some of the variables that play an important role in structuring the organization?
6. What assumptions form the basis for advocating formalization in organization? 7. What are some of the advantage of job description? 8. Briefly describe the characteristics of departmentalization by place. 9. What are the differences between unity of command and span of control 10. Explain the various types of decision process in an organization?
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS • 1.Design is similar to structure because: • a. It is not a fixed scheme • b. It allocates responsibilities • c. It is the concern of an organization • d. It provides necessary means to achieve the goals of an organization. • 2.Structural deficiency leads to : • a. Clearly defined responsibilities • b. Smooth flow of communication • c. Delayed decision making • d. Mechanisms to deal with external and internal uncertainties.
3.The type of structure characterized by a few responsibilities centers in a smaller number of hierarchies is : a. Tall b. Flat c. High d. Low 4.The focus in flat structure is on : a. Means to achieve goals b. Both means and end c. End responsibilities d. Neither mean nor end 5. Decision making in a flat structure is : a. Centralised b. De-centralised c. Both Centralised and De-centralised d. None of the above
6. One of the characteristics of the tall structure is: a. Number of subordinates that a superior can supervise may be larger b. Decision making is by and large decentralized c. There are greater opportunities for upward movement d. Focus is on end responsibilities 7. Two Managers at he same level but performing different roles in the same organization is an example of : a. Horizontal differentiation b. Vertical Differentiation c. Differentiation by product d. Differentiation by Place
9. In which type of culture do the results form the basis of assessment of effectiveness? a. Power Culture. b. Role culture. c. Task Culture. d. Person Culture. 10. Which of the following cultures makes adaptation to change difficult? a. Power Culture. b. Role culture. c. Task Culture. d. Person Culture.
11. In which of these cultures the employee objectives serve more personal interests rather than organizational interest? a. Soft Culture. b. Hard culture. c. Formal Culture. d. Informal culture. 12. Which of these is not a formal component of organizational culture? a. Policies. b. Procedures. c. Ceremonies. d. Rules.
13. Which of the following is not a typology of organizational culture? a. Power culture. b. Role culture c. Person culture d. Group culture 14. The dimension of individualism or collectivism was prepared by: a. Sinha. b. Hofstede. c. Symington. d. Kroeber and kluckholn.
15. Which of the following defines the dominant value in society emphasizing social relationship. a. Masculinity Feminity. b. Uncertainty avoidance. c. Individualism/ collectivism. d. Power distance orientation 16. The study on organizational culture and climate at ONGC was undertaken by: a. Virmani and Gupta. b. Sharma. c. Sinha. d. Trompenaar.
17. Which of the following is a high uncertainity avoidance country? a. Greece. b. Canada. c. Newzealand. d. USA. 18. NIIT was established by two graduates of : a. IIT Kanpur b. IIT Bombay c. IIT Delhi d. IIT Kharagpur
19. Whose study concluded that large firms promote inertia and complacency? a. Connell. b. Hannand and Freeman c. Aldrich and Auster. d. Hitt. 20. Which of these is not a part of soft sub culture at ONGC as identified by its executives? a. Lack of empowerment. b. Gap in plan and implementation. c. Strong infrastructure. d. Lack of coordination.
ANSER KEY for MCQs 1) d 2) c 3) b 4) c 5) b 6) c 7) a 8) b 9) c 10) d 11) c 12) a 13) d 14) d 15) c 16) b 17) d 18) b 19) d 20) a