MODULE 4. PHARMACOLOGY AND BIOPHARMACEUTICS. A drug that causes significant delay in the absorption of acetaminophen by reducing the rate of gastric emptying:. Anticholinergic Digoxin. c. Levodopa d. Propantheline. 2. Histabloc ® is a:. H1 agonist H1 antagonist . c. H2 agonist
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
PHARMACOLOGY AND BIOPHARMACEUTICS
Pernicious anemia is caused by loss of gastric parietal cells, and subsequent inability to absorb vitamin B12.
Megaloblastic anemia is an anemia (of macrocytic classification) that results from inhibition of DNA synthesis in red blood cell production.
c. Bronchial asthma
5. A new drug is currently being developed whose mechanism of action is stimulation of the beta-3 receptors. In which condition will this drug have most likely usefulness?
6. Among diabetic patients using insulin or oral hypoglycemic agents (OHAs), why are beta-blockers used with special caution if not totally avoided?
7. The effects of muscarinic receptor activation in tissues like the exocrine glands and the extravascular smooth muscles have been linked with the generation of which second messenger molecule?
11. What is the most important mechanism of termination of effects of released Norepinephrine which is the target action of TCA’s and cocaine:
12. A given adrenergic agent induces uterine relaxation and bronchial muscle relaxation and bronchial muscle relaxation. These effect can be attributed to:
Streptomycin - IM
I and III
II and III
I, II and III
30. Chinese patients are most likely to be more sensitive to the effects of which of the following drugs for hypertension that lower doses may have to be used?
38. Biotransformation of orally administered drugs occurring primarily in the liver that reduces the amount of drug finally entering the systemic circulation is often referred to as:
40. A 55 year old male with kidney stones has been placed on a diuretic to decrease calcium excretion. However, after a few weeks, he develops an attack of gout. Which diuretic was he taking?
HCTZ can also inhibit the excretion of uric acid and cause its accumulation, leading to an attack of gout
41. A 45-year-old man has recently been diagnosed with hypertension and started on monotherapy designed to reduce peripheral resistance and prevent NaCl and water retention. He has developed a persistent cough. Which of the following drugs would have the same benefits but would not cause cough?
51. The activity of regular heparin when given intravenously is best monitored at least every 6 hours for the first 24 hours of therapy using what parameter?
58. Which of the following new Insulin preparations has a characteristic release pattern that shows no peak and a plateau serum Insulin level that is maintained for about 24 hours?
60. A diabetic on oral hypoglycemic drug, chlorpropamide, suffered from enteric fever and was prescribed chloramphenicol. He developed severe hypoglycemia. This is because:
For questions 65-67:A 58-year –old white male who has a history of essential hyper tension and bronchial asthma has recently been diagnosed with prostatic hypertrophy. His medication history includes the following drugs:
For quest ions 68-70: A 55-year –old black female has a history of moderate hyper tension, glaucoma, and mild osteoarthritis. Her medication history includes the following drugs:
71. A patient on oral anticoagulant therapy is commenced on sulfamethoxaole-trimethoprim, double-strength twice daily. One may expect to see the international normalized ratio:
72. An unconscious patient is brought into the emergency department. The patient is given 50 mL of 50% dextrose in water, thiamine 100 mg IV, followed by naloxone 1 mg, at which point he awakens. This patient most likely has overdosed on which of the following substances?
75. A 75 year old woman with hypertension is being treated with a thiazide. Her blood pressure responds and reads at 120/76mmHg. After several months on the medication, she complains of being tired and weak. An analysis of the blood indicates low values for which of the following?
85. The process by which the drug is engulfed by the cell membrane and carried into the cell by pinching off the newly formed vesicle inside the membrane.
c. Parietal cells
All exist in the gastric glands and aids in the possible metabolism of drugs