R Controlled Vowels. Megan Lynch. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. R. A pirate says… . - ar , - er , - ir , -or, - u r. When the letter r comes after a vowel, it changes the sound that the vowel makes. EXAMPLES. r Controlled Vowels. p et n ut h op l ip
A pirate says…
When the letter r comes after a vowel, it changes the sound that the vowel makes.
r Controlled Vowels
The sound of ‘ar’ as in car.
2. Please don’t charge us for looking at the stars so far away in the sky.
3. It was very hard to open in the jar in the car when we were driving to the bar. At least I didn’t get a scar.
The sound of ‘er’ as in taller.
2. My sister gave me an older flower. My brother hit the flower with a hammer and all his power. He is such a jerk!
3. Avoid germs or you will swerve around her while she has a stern face.
The sound of ‘ir’ as in bird.
2. The skirt on the fir tree fell in the dirt because it had a lot of girth.
3. Yes sir, I did smirk at the quirky squirt in the room with the shirt.
The sound of ‘or’ as in fork.
2. Why was I born with a short thorn on my toe in the storm that scorched the car?
3. I don’t ever put pork on a fork when he sorts the swords at the fort.
The sound of ‘ur’ as in burnt.
2. The curt nurse would like to put a curse on the fur purse that blurts out rude words.
3. Take a turn close to the burnt spur on the churned road.
The sound of ‘air’ as in stareand fair