Mobile Azalea Trail. History of the Azalea Trail. The Azalea Trail began in 1929…. It’s an actual trail. The Mobile Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) was trying to encourage the citizens of Mobile to plant azalea plants along the streets as a city-wide beautification project.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
History of the Azalea Trail • The Azalea Trail began in 1929…. It’s an actual trail. • The Mobile Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) was trying to encourage the citizens of Mobile to plant azalea plants along the streets as a city-wide beautification project. • The lined streets became known as the Azalea Trail. It was originally 37 miles long and was marked by the “Pink Line.” • People from all over the nation were invited to the cutting of the ribbon which officially opened the trail in February 1929.
What are Azalea Trail Maids? • Originally, the Azalea Trail Maid Court consisted of 10 girls that gathered for only 3 days. • Originally, the Maids could come from anywhere, not just Mobile. This led to the founding of the America’s Junior Miss program in 1958. • Now, the court consists of 50 girls from throughout Mobile County who appear in local and nation wide events throughout a year. • Azalea Trail Maids are considered to be the prime example of southern charm and hospitality. They are the ambassadors of the city.
Mobile History Fun Fact The name Mobile derived from the Mobile or MauvilaIndians that once inhabited the region. • 1702- Mobile was founded by brothers Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville and Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville as Fort Louis de la Louisiane and became French Louisiana’s capital atTwenty-Seven Mile Bluff. • 1711-Mobile moved to itspresent location due to flooding. • 1720- Capital of French Louisianaismoved to Biloxi.
1717-Fort Condé built for settlement and defense • 1763- The Treaty of Paris signedgiving the Louisianaterritory to the British • 1780- In the Battle of Fort Chaplott, the Spanishtook control of Mobile. • 1813- U.S. General James Wilkinson seized Mobile during the War of 1812. • 1814- Alabama became a State.
1861- Alabama seceded from the Union to join the Confederate States of America • August 5, 1864- Battle of Mobile Bay (Union Victory) • Mobile was the last major port (fourthlargest city) in the Confederacyatthat point • April 12, 1865- Alabama joined the United States, again. Union Admiral David Farragut
The Six Flags that Fly Over Mobile Try to think of them in order of our history: French British Spanish Alabama Confederate States of America United States of America
State Emblems • State bird– Yellow hammer • State flower—Camellia • State tree– Longleaf pine • State nut—Pecan • State motto– “We Dare Defend Our Rights” • State song– “Alabama” (from a poem written by Julia Tutwiler in 1931) • Capital—Montgomery • Helen Keller was featured on the Alabama coin in 2003.
Mobile’s Schedule of Events • January • Senior Bowl • February • Mardi Gras • March • Azalea Trail Run • Historic Homes Tour • Festival of Flowers • April • Dauphin Island Regatta • May • Blessing of the Fleet • LPGA Tournament • June • Distinguished Young Woman Finals • July • Grand Bay Watermelon Festival • Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo • October • Bayfest • Greater Gulf State Fair • November • International Festival • December • Go Daddy.com Bowl • Candlelight Christmas at Oakleigh • Christmas at Richard’s DAR House • Bellingrath’s Magic Christmas in Lights • Moonpie over Mobile (New Year’s Eve)
Laissez-Les Bonnes Temps Rouler!(Let the Good Times Roll) • Mobile is the home of American Mardi Gras! • The first Mardi Gras celebration in the New World took place in Mobile in 1703. According to legend, the founder was named Nicholas Langlois. • New Orleans did not begin celebrating until 1723. • The oldest parading society in Mobile is the Order of Myths (OOMs). They parade on Fat Tuesday every year. The Order of Myths Insignia During the parade, folly chases death on the emblem float.
Joe Cain • During the Civil War, Mardi Gras was not celebrated in Mobile…In 1866 Joe Cain changed that. • Union troops still occupying the city heard what they thought was a gunshot. What they heard was Cain dressed as a Chickasaw Indian, Chief Slacabamornico. With this he revived Mardi Gras in Mobile. • Joe Cain is buried in Church Street Cemetery. His “widows” visit his grave each year on Joe Cain Sunday, the Sunday before Fat Tuesday. Joe Cain dressed as Chief Slacabamorinico JoeCain’s grave in Church Street Cemetery
Mobile’s Historic Districts • Oakleigh Garden District: Lies along and south of Government Street; One of the largest historic districts, it includes the following: • Washington Square Park • Many homes built in the late 1800 • Oakleigh Period House Museum Complex • Old Dauphin Way Historic District: Covers a large area of midtown bounded by Springhill Avenue, Houston, Broad, and Government Streets • Campground Historic District: Located in the vicinity of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and Rylands Lane; the most recent to be designated a historic district
Districts continued… • Leinkauf Historic District: Bounded by Government, Eslava, Lamar, and Monterey Streets; The centerpiece is Leinkauf Elementary School (1904) • Ashland Place Historic District: Bounded by Springhill Avenue, Ryan and Levert Avenues, and Old Shell Road; Includes Ashland Place fire station and the Visitation Monastery Convent (1855) • Midtown Historic District: Roughly bounded by Springhil Avenue, Houston, Florida, and Government Streets; Includes Murphy High School • DeTonti Square Historic District: Located in the northern part of downtown near Water Street; Many of the structures show intricate iron-work on balconies, including the Richards-DAR House
Mobile’s Five Historic House-Museums Bragg-Mitchell Mansion: Built in 1855 by Judge John Bragg (brother of Confederate General Braxton Bragg)—designed for entertaining • The house has 18 rooms. The ceilings throughout the downstairs are 15 feet high. • It was purchased in 1931 by Mr. and Mrs. A. S. Mitchell. The current restoration began in 1986. • The operators maintain it is the “most photographed home in the South.”
Conde-Charlotte Museum House: Built to serve as Mobile’s first official jail for old Fort Conde • It was started in 1822 and completed in 1844. • Approximately in the 1850s, it was converted into a residence, known as the Kirkbride House. • It is now a house museum furnished to depict the periods of Mobile’s history under its various flags. • Each room is furnished to reflect a period and a nationality.
Oakleigh Period House and Historic Complex • The Oakleigh home dates to 1833. The first owner, James Roper, also designed it. • The home has a unique winding staircase that characterizes the home. • Right next to Oakleigh is the Cox-Deasy Cottage, a middle class home dating to 1850. • The Oakleigh complex is home to the Historic Mobile Preservation Society.
Richards-D.A.R. House Museum: Built in 1860 Captain Charles and Caroline Richards • Famous for its wrought iron lace that decorates the front façade– depicts the four seasons • Bought by Ideal Cement Company in 1946 which used it for office space. The company presented it to the City of Mobile in 1973. • The city leased it to the six chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
19th century rural farmhouse Depicts a “simpler time” in its displays of period furnishings, tools, clothing, toiletries, table-settings, and other mementoes from the period • Carlen House Museum: Located on the campus of Murphy High School
Phoenix Fire Museum • Located near the Civic Center • Has a unique collection of authentic turn-of-the century steam engines as well as other fire fighting equipment • Many of the volunteers were fire fighters
Exploreum Museum of Science • Conveniently located at the corner of Government and Water Streets, just across from the Mobile Convention Center. • The building itself is historic. It was formerly the Matt Sloan Fire Station. • Opened in its current location in 1998 • The museum features over 150 exhibits, both permanent and rotating. • The Exploreum also houses the only IMAX theater in Mobile. **Just across from the Exploreum, at the foot of Government Street, is a statue of Admiral Raphael Semmes, Captain of the CSS Alabama during the Civil War.**
Mobile Medical Museum (formerly Eichold-Heustis Medial Museum of the South ) • Dr. Samuel Eichold– a physician, educator, civil leader, and philanthropist; founded the first camp for diabetic children in 1947. • Dr. James F. Heustis— native Mobilian and prominent member of the medical profession in Mobile for many years. • Contains the Southeast’s largest collection of medical artifacts Located on Springhill Avenue next to Mobile Infirmary
Museum of Mobile • Housed in the Southern Market/ Old City Hall (185-1857) on South Royal Street • The museum contains a permanent exhibit displaying the history of Mobile from colonization to the 21st century. • It also houses traveling exhibits and hosts various events including private parties, weddings, and book signings.
Mobile Carnival Museum • Opened in 2005 • Located on Government Boulevard in the historic Bernstein-Bush home. • The museum has three levels and features 14 gallery rooms, a pictorial hallway, theater, gathering den, and gift shop. • The museum displays various monarchs’ gowns, costumes, crowns, and scepters. It also features videos on costume design, coronations, float construction, and past parades.
Battleship Memorial Park • The USS Alabama was laid in water in 1940. It served in World War II in the Pacific and saw 37 months of active duty. • In 1962, the U.S. Navy announced that the ship would be scrapped. By 1964, Alabama school children raised over $100,000 to bring the “Mighty A” to Mobile. • The ship opened to public tours in 1965. • On July 4, 1969, the park opened the WWII submarine USS Drumto tours. Today the park also features over twenty military aircraft in the over 36,000 square-foot aircraft pavilion.
Mobile Museum of Art • Opened on September 6, 2002 • Largest art museum along the Gulf Coast from New Orleans to Tampa • Overlooks Mobile’s Langan Park, across the street from the Playhouse in the Park • Home to the Pallette Cafe
Saenger Theater • Opened on January 19, 1927 • It was the 61stSaenger Theater opened in the South (named for the owner). • It took one year to construct and cost $500,000. • Designed by Emile Weil
In 1970 the owners closed the theater but the University of South Alabama saved it from being demolished. • On October 1, 1999, the City bought the theater from South Alabama, and the Center for Living Art donated 6 million dollars to have it restored. • It now seats 1,921 people and is the home of Mobile Symphony Orchestra. • Many concerts for popular musicians from several genres are held there throughout the year. • The Saenger also hosts a summer classic film series.
Education in Mobile Colleges in Mobile Include Bishop State Community College Capp’s College Faulkner University Southeast College of Technology Spring Hill College University of Mobile University of South Alabama Mobile has over 100 school buildings and has 398,000 students enrolled in public school. Barton Academy Building on Government Street Built in the 1830s, Barton Academy was the first public school in Alabama. It also served as the facilities for the Mobile County School System school board until 2007.
Mobile’s Sister Cities • Havana, Cuba • Cockburn, Australia • Pau, France • Worms, Germany • Gaeta, Italy • Ichihara, Japan • Veracruz, Mexico • Malaga, Spain • Gianjin, China • Bolinao,Phillippines • Katowice, Poland • Constanta, Romania • Košice, Slovakia • King Shaka, South Africa • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
Here’s the 411 on the 311 • Originally began in Baltimore by the police department on Oct. 2, 1996. • It reduced Baltimore’s 911 calls by 60%. • Approved nation wide by the FCC on Feb. 19, 1997. • 55.8 millon residents have access to the 311 number. (That’s about 18% of the population.)
Located at the city of Mobile Technology Center-Open 24/7 and will try to answer any questions you may have. • MOBILE 311 IS HERE TO ELECTRONICALLY ROUTE SERVICE REQUESTS TO APPROPRIATE CITY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS PROVIDE A NEUTRAL FORUM FOR CITIZENS TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS ABOUT CITY SERVICES AND DEPARTMENTS PROVIDE A WAY TO TRACK THE PROGRESS OF SERVICE REQUEST ORDERS (SRO) ANSWER QUESTIONS CITIZENS HAVE CONCERNING CITY ORGANIZATIONS AND SERVICES ASSIST CITIZENS IN OBTAINING CITY SERVICES IN A FAIR AND EFFICIENT MANNER
City Officals Mayor: Sam Jones Chief of Police: Michael T. Williams
County Commissioners Sherriff:SamCochran Mercia L. Ludgood District 1 Connie Hudson District 2 Mike Dean District 3
City Council • Fun Fact • The City Council meets every Tuesday. • 9:00- pre Council Meeting in Government Plaza Room on the first floor. • 10:30- The Council Meeting begins in Government Plaza Auditorium. Frederick Richarson Jr. Vice President. District 1 Wiallam Carrol District 2 Jermaine A. Burrell District 3 John C. Willams District 4 Reggie Copeland Sr. President District 5 Bess Rich District 6 Gina Gregory District 7
City of Mobile Mission Statement We respect the dignity and worth of our citizens and value the diversity of culture, heritage, and history within our community. We pledge to strive to improve the quality of life and opportunity for economic prosperity of all our residents by working to attract more visitors and industries and assuring all of our citizens a clean, safe, economically viable and progressive city that is responsive to changing needs.
State Officials Governor: Dr. Robert Bentley (R) **Remember the “S”… Senators= Sessions and Shelby)** Jo Bonner (R) District Representative US House of Representatives Kay Ivey (R) Lt.Governor Senator Jeff Sessions (R) Senator Richard Shelby (R)