The Great Ball Game. A Muskogee Story Let’s Predict… What could this story be about? Predicting: Good readers predict what will happen next. When reading they make predictions, then confirm or revise those predictions as they go. http://www.opencourtresources.com.
A Muskogee Story
What could this story be about?
Predicting:Good readers predict what will happen next. When reading they make predictions, then confirm or revise those predictions as they go.
The Muscogee (Creek) people are descendents of a remarkable culture that, before 1500 AD, spanned all the region known today as the Southeastern United States. Early ancestors of the Muscogee constructed magnificent earthen pyramids along the rivers of this region as part of their elaborate ceremonial complexes. The historic Muskogee later built expansive towns within these same broad river valleys in the present states of Alabama, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina, then later moved to Oklahoma.
Later, we will look at slides of this American Indian Nation.
As you read…
1. Why do birds fly south every winter?
2. How would you feel if you wanted to play a game and weren’t allowed?
3. Why is it important to include everyone who wants to play in a game?
Remember to follow along with you eyes and
I’m watching you!!!
1.What did the Birds and Animals decide to do to see which group was better?
2.Why didn’t the Birds accept Bat on their team?
3.Who won the game and what was the penalty?
1. How was playing a game used to settle an argument?
2. How did Bat prove to be a good team player for the Animals?
3. Why do birds fly south for the winter
and bats fly at dusk?
2. Why was it interesting that Bat won the game?
3. In what other story did the characters learn to get along with each other?
4.How is the Great Ball Game like games you’ve played. Explain.
Menewa,Chief of the Redstick Muskogee (Upper Creek)
born probably at Okfuskee, about 1766, died in the Creek Nation west,
but year of death not known.
Creek leader Hopothle Mico 1790.
Now you can write about YOUR
*write how to play it
*write about a
a memorable game
why you like it
*write about a
team you’ve been on
*write about what
you’d like to play
when you get older