2 Timothy 2:15-22.
Focus, Strive and Obey
Despite the numerous gadgets and apps that help us get through our days, research suggests that only 2% of people can multitask effectively. As for the remaining 98%? They're actually lessening their productivity without even realizing it.
This infographic from OnlineCollege.org details how often we confuse multitasking with actual distraction. For example, employees who use a computer for work are, on average, distracted every 10.5 minutes. Students who bring their laptops to class aren't doing much better, since 62% of the web pages that they open during class are completely unrelated to the lecture. And what about the 67% of people who check their email or use a mobile web browser while on a date?
In her article Christine Rosen writes,
In one of the many letters he wrote to his son in the 1740s, Lord Chesterfield offered the following advice: “There is time enough for everything in the course of the day, if you do but one thing at once, but there is not time enough in the year, if you will do two things at a time.”
In 2005, the BBC reported on a research study, funded by Hewlett-Packard and conducted by the Institute of Psychiatry at the University of London, that found, “Workers distracted by e-mail and phone calls suffer a fall in IQ more than twice that found in marijuana smokers.”
The Preacher sought to find words of delight, and uprightly he wrote words of truth. The words of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings; they are given by one Shepherd. My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
My son’s 4th grade teacher recently sent home an effort rubric that they will use:
4 – Excellent
I worked on task until it was completed.
I was able to push myself when things got tough.
I was able to keep going on the task all by myself.
I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishing the difficult task.
I worked on task until completed
I was able to push myself when things got difficult.
I needed some encouragement when things got tough.
I put some effort into this task
I got stuck when things got hard.
My teacher and/or my classmates needed to keep encouraging me a lot!
1 – Unacceptable
I did not finish the task
I gave up in the middle of the task.
No matter who encouraged me, I couldn’t finish the job.