PIA 3395. Development Theories. The Main Event. I. Golden Oldies: II. Literary Map: III. Synthesis:. Development Management as a Field of Study. Defined.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
I. Golden Oldies:
II. Literary Map:
as a Field of Study
1. Comparative Public Administration- Structural Functionalism in 1950s
3. Comparative Administration Group (Sponsored by the Ford Foundation).
4. Special Attention: The Theories of Fred Riggs
5. Problem of ethnocentricity of modernization
Ralph Smuckler and Louis A. Picard, “Higher Education, Capacity Building, and Aid: Lessons Learned,” in Foreign Aid and Foreign Policy: Lessons for the Next Half-Century, edited by: Louis A. Picard; Robert Groelsema; Terry F. Buss (New York: M.E. Sharpe, 2008).
6. Development Management- involves private sector and non-profits in government coordinated development activities
7. Development Planning vs. Development Economics: Basis in Keynesianism (Rejected by neo-orthodoxy)
8. Modernization Theory: Basis for Development Management
1. Development Administration vs. Development Management (people centered development?) What is the difference?
2. The flat pyramid principle
3. The critique of the bureaucratic form
4. Capacity building, NGOs and Organizational weakness (PVO experiences)
=Mini-Discussion: Critique: the project
5. Hierarchy vs. Democracy- How does one reconcile?
6. Local Government and absence of personnel in LDCs
-Key: lack of fiscal and personnel devolution
7. Development Administration vs. Representative Bureaucracy
8. Development Management in the 21st century: National Policy or Donor Driven
Does Development Management exist? Is it different from Development Administration? To what extent is the latter term (or both terms) an oxymoron? What is the relationship between state centric views of development and people centered development?Mock Question:
"One of the major Problems encountered so far has been is with the management of the project."
“Development and Management is an Oxymoran.”
An Old Philosopher
"Administrative corruption...[is] the institutionalized abuse of public resources by civil servants."
Public administration is..."the scarcest resource...the lack of such managerial and administrative capability is the single scarcest public resource in the developing world.
Group Four: Deconstruct Question
Group Three: Identify Ten authors and write ten one sentence summaries that can be used in the question
Groups Two and One: Write mock comp. questions for each quote above