Ancient Civilizations of the Western Hemisphere. Maya, Aztec, & Inca. Maya - Location. southern Mexico into northern Central American called the Yucatan Peninsula. Maya - Climate. dense, steamy rain forests. Maya – Time Period. 250-900 a.d. Maya – Government.
Maya, Aztec, & Inca
southern Mexico into northern Central American called the Yucatan Peninsula
dense, steamy rain forests
independent city-states ruled by kings – seen as god-king, established dynasties
- 365 day solar calendar, different gods ruled different days
Central Mexico – Valley of Mexico, Modern day Mexico City
Hot, large shallow lakes, good resources, fertile soil
1200 – 1521 A.D.
- loose control over empire with exception of tribute payments
1. Agriculture – maize, cacao beans, cotton
2. Trading Network – with Tenochtitlan as ultimate marketplace
2. Built temples and pyramids
3. 2 calendars
4. Human sacrifices to sun god
No real mention – writing system of pictures derived from earlier MesoAmerican cultures
1. Run by the state – regulated production of goods
2. Agriculture on terraced hillsides – maize and quinoa (grain)
1. Polytheistic – natural spirits of moons, stars, sun, thunder, etc.
2. 2 Calendars