Forests, Land Use and Climate A Presentation for: Carbon Markets & Forestry Meeting Covington, Georgia: May 15, 2007 The Pacific Forest Trust Sustaining the Public Benefits of Private Forests Aligning ecological needs with economic realities Developers of conservation markets
A Presentation for:
Carbon Markets & Forestry Meeting
Covington, Georgia: May 15, 2007
Sustaining the Public Benefits of Private Forests
An Expert in Forest & Climate Policy
Source of Global
• 1/3 of all US forests gone;additional 1.5 million acres now lost annually.
• Rate of loss tripled from 1982 to 1997, highest of any land type in US.
• Rate of loss very high in Georgia (and WA and CA), and expected to increase nationally.
Sprawling subdivisions are eating up our forests
Forests are highly threatened with loss -- and with them, invaluable resources
Synergistic benefits of conservation and climate
– Conservation easements secure legal “permanence”and minimize risk of loss
– Approved verifiers with licensed foresters
– Healthy working forests, native species and biodiversity, riparian and water quality protections -- “Eco-Eco” sustainability
The Pacific Forest Trust
1001A O’Reilly Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94129