Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Prejudice Quotes. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” --- Mark Twain “Few prople are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment” --- Albert Einstein
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
--- Mark Twain
“Few prople are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment” --- Albert Einstein
“He flattered himself on being a man without any prejudices; and this pretension itself is a very great prejudice” --- Anatole France
“Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts” --- E. B. White
Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic” --- Tryon Edwards
(Generalized beliefs about the characteristics of a group – good or bad)
(Dislike based on faulty and inflexible generalizations; either felt or expressed. It may be directed toward a group as a whole or toward individuals because of their group membership)
(Different treatment of people based on their membership of a group)
What is it?
~ Some Attitudes Towards Women Scale Items ~
~ Sample Ageism Scale Items ~
Figures based on studies conducted by Dr. Stacy Smith, Ph.D. at the USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism (Gender stereotypes: An analysis of popular films and TV; 2008)
Native American .4%
Source: Mastro & Stern (2003) Representations of race in television commercials: A content analysis of prime-time advertising. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media
Ineffective solutions ---
Work on common goals; everyone has to work together (e.g., break in water main, car problems, $ for movie)
[For specific steps see: http://www.jigsaw.org/steps.htm]
45 minutes, 3 times/week
Process: Each person is given information to present to the group that is valuable to find a solution to a given problem
30 photos of women rated in terms of attractiveness (5-point scale)
Procedure -- Place 15 pictures into each pile
Do not support feminist
Support feminist movement
Rated on various factors (e.g., ability, integrity, likeability)
Rate traits of
Rate traits of
Rate traits of typical of leaders
Male traits seen as similar to leadership traits
Female Representation in Academics
Kay Bailey Hutchinson
31. If a Lord of the Confederacy should become seriously ill and be thought near death, the women who are heirs of his titleshall go to his house and lift his crown of deer antlers, the emblem of his Lordship, and place them at one side. If the Creator spares him and he rises from his bed of sickness he may rise with the antlers on his brow.
44. The lineal descent of the people of the Five Nations shall run in the female line. Women shall be considered the progenitors of the Nation. They shall own the land and the soil. Men and women shall follow the status of the mother.
45. The women heirs of the Confederated Lordship titles shall be called Royaneh (Noble) for all time to come.
46. The women of the Forty Eight (now fifty) Royaneh families shall be the heirs of the Authorized Names for all time to come.
47. If the female heirs of a Confederate Lord's title become extinct, the title right shall be given by the Lords of the Confederacy to the sister family whom they shall elect and that family shall hold the name and transmit it to their (female) heirs, but they shall not appoint any of their sons as a candidate for a title until all the eligible men of the former family shall have died or otherwise have become ineligible.
90. When the Five Nations' Council declares war any Lord of the Confederacy may enlist with the warriors by temporarily renouncing his sacred Lordship title which he holdsthrough the election of his women relatives. The title then reverts to them and they may bestow it upon another temporarily until the war is over when the Lord, if living, may resume his title and seat in the Council.
94. The men of every clan of the Five Nations shall have a Council Fire ever burning in readiness for a council of the clan. When it seems necessary for a council to be held to discuss the welfare of the clans, then the men may gather about the fire. This council shall have the same rights as the council of the women.
Shoving incident (during a debate)
Black shoves white person = 75% defined it as act of violence
White shoves black person = 17% defined it as act of violence
50% less chance of being invited for an interview versus “Whites” with high qualifications
Asked easier questions than those who were younger
*** Also, part of this was due to rater ageism and attributional stability scores
From: Rupp, Vodanovich, & Crede (2006)
Randomly assigned labels
> > > Self-fulfilling prophecy at work (leaders spent more time with the “high” expectation group)
They tendency to link one’s self-concept and self esteem with the status and/or behavior of groups
Also, people tend to reward members of ingroups (e.g., Minimal Group Paradigm) ---
Basking in Reflected Glory ---
Favorite Football Team wins --- “We”; More likely to wear team t-shirt
Favorite Football Team loses --- “They”
In and Out-Groups Bias