New Applications for Forecasters. EGOWS 2007 Heleen ter Pelkwijk. The items of this presentation. Rich Intranet Application Dashboard Product Generation Application for the use of Conditional Climatology. Rich Intranet Application. Purpose:
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Heleen ter Pelkwijk
Create an easily accessible operational intranet environment (weather items) for the forecasters.
- Creation of two intranet domains:
Proeftuin.knmi.nl (the playground for scientists)
Oper.knmi.nl (the operational website)
- Creation of a combined menu (portal)
Definition of operational intranet system:
Data streams, data processing and the server are monitored and when needed repaired 24 X 7.
The experimental site has an operational server but no operational data!
Do we still need a dedicated meteorological workstation?
- Dashboard = the interface of a monitoring tool
- Dashboard gives a signal (trigger) in case a severe event occurs.
- The forecaster has to handle more and more data
- The forecaster has to make the right decision as soon as possible
- observations – products (standard/incidental)
- observations – model
- model – model
- model – product (difference can be a choice)
- observation – observation
- product – product (consistency)
- Product – time (monitoring)
detailed info (intranet)
- accumulation of precipitation from the radar / limit for a weather alarm
- thunderstorm data from “FLITS” / limit for a weather alarm
- wind observations / limit for a weather alarm
- snow and blowing snow / limit for a weather alarm
2. Model – product
- EPS / limit for a weather alarm
- EPS / warnings for customers
- Not too many triggers!
- How to keep it conveniently arranged
- The use of smart mechanisms to reduce the amount of triggers
- Filter and sort possibilities
- Link triggers to the content of the forecasts
Reducing the “routine jobs” by automate part of the standard production.
2. Monitoring and adapt automatic product generation
3. Not automatic production
4. Not automatic monitoring
The red data streams are not monitored by the forecasters!
Weather dependent loop
(Observations, models, statistic values)
Trigger to the forecaster;
A check and possible adjustments.
Extra attention when the product becomes more important
Average of 3 stations: Vlissingen, Brasschaat (of Woensdrecht) en Gilze Rijen
Modified long term forecast
Precipitation forecast Zoommeer
Pilot with the use of e-forms
An application which makes it possible to give an quick overview of the change in, for instance the visibility, during the next 12 hours, based on climatology.
This systems works for fog/low visibility/low clouds
Give the forecaster an easy access to recent climatological reference material (1977-2006) to help him/her to make the forecast.
Fog (in m) Cloud height (in ft)