Recruiting and Retaining Faculty of Color. CHASS Department HEADS’ RETREAT AUGUST 14, 2013. Juliana Makuchi Nfah-Abbenyi Professor of English and Comparative Literature CHASS Director of Diversity Programs and Faculty/Staff Diversity. CHASS Recruitment and Retention Template—A Guideline.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
CHASS Department HEADS’ RETREAT
AUGUST 14, 2013
Juliana Makuchi Nfah-Abbenyi
Professor of English and Comparative Literature
CHASS Director of Diversity Programs and Faculty/Staff Diversity
Intentional plans for departments
1. Prepare departmental faculty to evaluate teaching and scholarship content related to diversity in their discipline, in emerging areas and in those areas unfamiliar to current faculty.
2. As a department, review tenure standards to examine if they are systematically marginalizing areas of research, service and teaching in which faculty of color are concentrated.
3. Develop a retention package as an element of the recruitment/hiring process, then review junior faculty annually in reference to that retention package to ensure consistency and identify unanticipated obstacles to success.
Intentional plans for departments and the college
4. Recognize and evaluate service as "engagement" with the general missions of university, college and departments, including (but not limited to) committee work, student mentoring, alumni relations, and other components of the ongoing obligations of the university community.
5. Cultivate and provide opportunities for faculty of color to develop leadership ambitions, expertise, and experience.
6. Develop a "Dean's Ambassador Program," appointing senior faculty of color across the college, to provide informal and formal mentoring and support for new faculty of color in order to build community and enhance professional networks and opportunities. This may be synergistic with several emerging university initiatives.
Department templates must have 3 intentional recruitment ideas and 3 intentional retention ideas
Departments will hold themselves accountable to said plans
Departments should bear in mind the following while developing a template: a) This is where we are; b) This is where we want to be; c) This is what we are committing ourselves to.