Maintaining Biodiversity. The Web of Life. What is Biodiversity?. Biodiversity is the variety of life: the different plants, animals and micro-organisms, their genes and the ecosystems of which they are a part. Biodiversity gives us:.
Related searches for Maintaining Biodiversity
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The Web of Life
Ecosystem Services -- What Nature Does for Us Every Day
move crops, develop new strains, rebuild roads, buildings, bridges, repair flood damage
Reduce the amount and toxicity of trash you discard
Reuse containers and products; repair what is broken or give it to someone who can repair it
Recycle as much as possible, which includes buying products with recycled content
- Photovoltaic (solar cell) systemsProducing electricity directly from sunlight.
- Concentrating solar systemsUsing the sun's heat to produce electricity
- Passive solar heating and daylightingUsing solar energy to heat and light buildings
- Solar hot waterHeating water with solar energy
- Solar process heat and space heating and coolingIndustrial and commercial uses of the sun's heat
- mounted on a tower to capture the most energy
- 100 feet or more
- can take advantage of the faster and less turbulent wind
- releasing the sugars that make up starch and cellulose in plants — can be used to make antifreeze, plastics, glues, artificial sweeteners, and gel for toothpaste
- biomass heated with oxygen = biosynthesis gas (used to make plastics and acids, which can be used in making photographic films, textiles, and synthetic fabrics)
- biomass heated without oxygen = pyrolysis oil . Phenol can be extracted from pyrolysis oil - make wood adhesives, molded plastic, and foam insulation
The use of biomass to generate electricity
There are six major types of biopower systems: