9th Grade Parent Night. Freshman Focus 2014 Extracurricular & Community Involvement. NHS Counselors. A-Car – Sheneka Davis Cas-F – Mike Hays G-I – Brenda Evans J- Mh – Cayce Feemster Mi-Res – Amber Ward Ret -Th – Keith Tremethick Ti-Z – Jamie Farber , Lead . Grade Classification.
Freshman Focus 2014
The Recommended Program:
The Texas Scholars Program focusesstudents on education and career planning during middle and high school and preparesthem for the transition to life after high school. Studentswhograduate as Texas Scholars are recognized for completing the rigorouscourseworkrequired by the Texas Business and Education Coalition.
To become a Texas Scholar:
1. Complete the Recommended or DistinguishedAchievement Program
2. Complete at least twocreditseligible for collegecredit (AP or dual credit)
3. Participate in a minimum of one high schoolextracurricularactivity for
twoconsecutiveyearsduring high school.
4. Passeverysemester of all high schoolcore classes.
– Makeup testing
– English I
– English II
- A standard test measuringcriticalreading, math, problem
solving and writingskills important for success in college
- Available for 9th, 10th, and 11th grades
- Providesfirsthand practice for the SAT Reasoning Test
- National MeritScholarship programs, based on 11th grade
- The majority of colleges, univerisities, and scholarship
commmitteestake the scores of theseassessmentsinto
- Begin taking one or bothduring 11th grade, springsemester
Community service and extracurricularactivitiesplay an important rolewithcolleges and scholarshipcommittees.
- Not available for studentswhofailed due to absences
-If 1st and 2ndsemester grades average 70 or higher, a failing 1st or 2ndsemestercreditmayberecovered