Warm Up:. Review for Quiz, Chapter Section 1. Quiz. Clear Desk No talking. Chapter 5 Section 2. The Second Industrial Revolution. Oil Boom. First commercial oil well discovered in Pennsylvania in 1859 - Pennzoil Oil prospectors (wildcatters) began to search for oil
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Review for Quiz,
Chapter Section 1
The Second Industrial Revolution
American Steel Production
Uses of steel:
- Cheap steel
- Federal land grants
Effects of the Railroads
Create a list of important business people & entrepreneurs.
What business did they make their money in?
Factors behind the rise of big business
Read: The Corporate World
Answer Questions on a separate sheet of paper
In general, how would you characterize is the economy doing right now?
(As of Yesterday)
Unequal Distribution of Wealth
Declining Tax Revenue
Record Debts and Deficits
If you have a lot of Christmas shopping to do, and very little time, what is the most effective means of getting it done?
How do you know the best things to get people for gifts?
Macy’s in New York 1858
Lord and Taylor’s 1861
Mail Order Catalogues
Sherman Anti-Trust Act (1890)
- their bosses could easily hire the unemployed to take their places.
- “Closed shop”- workplace that only hires union members
What were some complaints that workers had in the late 19th and early 20th centuries?
Knights of Labor was begun in 1869
- National protests for 8 hour workday
- hiring strikebreakers
- asking the courts to order strikers to stop striking, and if they continued, to bring in troops.
- hiring “scabs” or replacements
- “lockouts” to starve strikers into submission
- AFL refused to call a boycott Carnegie Steel products
- Armed with rifles and dynamite
- AFL did not support Pullman strikers
- Mail had been disrupted
What distinguishes the modern way of life?
(What makes our life modern?)
Over 1,000 patents
Quiz on Friday