Basic Social Studies Vocabulary . Longitude – the distance east or west of the Prime Meridian Latitude – the distance north and south of the Equator Geography – is the study of Earth’s landforms. Economics – the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services.
8. Key – the section of a map that explains the symbols and shadings
9. Hemisphere – one half of the Earth
10. Compass Rose – shows direction: north, south, east, and west
11. Parallel – another name for latitude
12. Meridian – another name for longitude