The Changing Earth A Science Lesson for 5 th Grade. http://www.dc.peachnet.edu/~pgore/students/w97/lehrer/. http://www.geo.utexas.edu/outreach/Barker%20lecture/barker.htm. Earth’s Layers. The three layers of Earth are the crust , the mantle , and the core . (see diagram to the right)
See the cutaway view and learn more about the Earth's layers.
1. Convergent boundaries - where plates move together
2. Divergent boundaries - where plates move away from one another
3. Transform-fault boundaries - where plates move past one another
1. Folding – when masses of rock are squeezed from opposite sides (two plates collide).
2. Faulting – when blocks of rock move up or down along a fault.
3. Doming – when the surface is lifted up by magma.
4. Volcanic Activity
1. High temperatures and pressures deep within Earth cause rock to melt.
2. Magma makes its way toward the Earth’s surface melting surrounding material to form a central pipe.
3. Hot melted material moves through the volcanic vent.
4. Magma turns to lava.