Flights of Fancy . Gifted Education 2012-2013. 1st 9 weeks. Beginning Aug. 27th Introduce New Theme- How can we fly into a successful year? Goal setting- -Setting goals-personal/school-related (Write at least 1 for each area) -How will you achieve these goals? -What steps will you take?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Beginning Aug. 27th
Introduce New Theme-
How can we fly into a successful year?
-Setting goals-personal/school-related (Write at least 1 for each area)
-How will you achieve these goals?
-What steps will you take?
During this 9 weeks you will be working on a project including the following products:
1. Goal setting (personal/school) Lesson 1
2. Art (Insect) Lesson 1-2 (Name art and insect art
3. Writing (Poetry) Lesson 2-3
4. Research about insects (Presentation format-power point presentation, digital photostory, other technology) Lesson 3-6
Sharing on weeks 6-9
Today we will be working on two products:
1. Goal Setting
Because some of you will finish before others, when you finish you will be able to go ahead after you finish your goal setting and art, and start on your poetry and research. Today I will give directions on the goal setting and art. Next week, I will go over the poetry and research part.
-Making a Connection-
-We will draw something that flies to symbolize us soaring into success. Brainstorm all the things that fly. Since we will begin by studying insects and flight, I would like for you to choose an insect that flies to draw. (i.e. butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, etc.)
-I have pictures of insects for you to look at and choose. (Show pics)
Show art examples-Use art techniques to create art-
-Show art that uses symmetry and discuss symmetry-black and white artwork
-Designs inside object
-Drawing with dots inside
-Abstract art-Drawing with splattered paint inside; black paint outside; then same color splattered paint around the black
Draw the insect on white paper. Cut it out. Trace around on scrapbook paper. Cut out. Glue on paper.
Draw the insect on white paper, on a flower.
Trace onto scrappaper
Draw the same insect in different ways all over the paper. Color in.
Use heavy black outlining.
Draw the insect on a white sheet of paper. Trace onto art paper on each side. Create an artistic design.
On 1 sheet splatter a variety
On another sheet draw and
color an insect.
Cut out insect and glue on
sheet with splattered paint.
Draw insect on white paper.
Cut out leaving a thick white border around the edge.
Glue on black paper or a very bright different colored paper.
Make some part of your drawing
like something else. This bird's tail is made of leaves instead of
Draw insect. Splatter paint inside it. Paint heavy outline in black. Then splatter the remainder of the background in the same colors you used on the inside of the insect.
Draw the insect. Draw designs inside.
After drawing the object, use some type
of textured cloth, etc. to rub over with marker or paint. Try this on a black sheet before applying to your drawing to see if you like the texture.
Draw the insect lightly.
Paint with watercolors.
Write a poem about one of these topics:
1. Describing yourself using some of the characteristics of the insect you drew.
2. About you and your talents and how you will use those talents to make our world a better place.
3. Describing the insect you drew.
4. Since we will be entering it into the Celebration of Young Writers, use the following rules:
1. Write about 20 lines (no more than 20)
2. After writing it, type it 12 point font, left align, single spaced, and save it.
3. Remember poetry needs to say something meaningful.
4. Great poetry uses some poetic elements like-metaphors, similes, alliteration, repetition, rhyme, rhythm, free verse,etc.
-You may view other great examples from
books-Celebration of Young Authors or by going to Poeticpower.com and clicking on winners.
-Make sure you read, revise, and edit,
-Then give to someone else in the class for peer review and editing.
-Then give to me before you begin typing.
-Save to your name and title of poem.
Decision Making-First decide what would you like to learn about insects. These are some possible questions:
1. How do insects fly?
2. How do insects affect our environment-good/bad?
3. Why do entomologist study insects?
4. What do entomologist do during their work week?
5. What classes do entomologists take?
6. What other careers might be associated with insects, and what talents and education do these careers require?
7. Other ? Discuss
1. Use Alabama Virtual Library, books, periodicals, magazines with research based information
2. You will need at least 3 articles that you have read and summarized in writing.
3. Give credit to your source-title, author, publishing date, page numbers
4. You may work with a partner (Discuss group rules)
1. Practice your presentations
2. Make sure the writing is written in your words and you know all the words.
3. Share with the class