Learning Presence. Peter Shea Senior Researcher – SUNY Learning Network & Associate Professor University at Albany State University of New York. Current Shift in US Higher Education. Current Shift. Current Shift. Quality of Outcomes: Results of Meta-Analyses of OL vs. CI. 5.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Senior Researcher – SUNY Learning Network &
University at Albany
State University of New York
Though the average effect size is “small” when “time” is the mediator the size is “medium”
The mean effect size for studies with moretime spent on task by online learners than learners in the control condition was +0.46
(Means, et.al., 2009)
Overall, the available research evidence suggests that promoting self-reflection, self-regulation and self-monitoring leads to more positive online learning outcomes.
Features such as prompts for reflection, self-explanation and self-monitoring strategies have shown promise for improving online learning outcomes. Means, et. al. (2009)
Consists of six subscales
37. Although we don’t have to attend daily classes I try to distribute my studying consistently across days in a way that gives me enough time to be successful in my online classes.
36. I try to schedule time every day or every week to study for my online courses, and I observe the schedule
41. I am persistent in getting help from my online instructor when I need it
42. I reflect on my learning in online courses to examine my understanding of what I have learned.
43. I ask myself a lot of questions about the course material when studying for an online course
33. I prepare my questions before joining in online discussions
35. I allocate extra studying time for my online courses because I know its time demanding
38. I find someone who is knowledgeable in course content so that I can consult with him or her when I need help
44. I interact with my classmates to help me understand how I am doing in my online classes
39. I share my problems with my classmates online so we know what we are struggling with and how to solve our problems
Medium of Instruction