Bell Ringer Let’s watch a video clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7SIeD-8-o Is the thing in the video alive or not? Explain why.
So, how do you know if a thing is alive or not? • What are the characteristics of life?
Properties of life • Organization (order) • Energy (metabolism) • Homeostasis • Growth and development • Reproduction • Response and adaptation • Evolution • Genetic code • Cells
Properties of life con’t • Organization (order): http://faculty.uca.edu/johnc/levels.jpg
2. Energy (Metabolism) 3. Homeostasis: Organisms regulate their metabolic processes. Ex) Blood sugar is maintained at a certain level. http://plaza.ufl.edu/mirenu/project2.htm
4. Growth and development http://www.kidsgeo.com/geography-for-kids/0007-earths-origins.php http://ikhsanblog12.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/about-my-p-o-i/
5. Reproduction http://janarupnowtherapy.com/Thirdparty/ http://www.b4fa.org/biosciences-and-agriculture/how-do-plants-reproduce-sexually/ http://www.biology-resources.com/drawing-amoeba-reproduction.html
6. Response and adaptation :Organisms respond to stimuli. http://www.meritnation.com/ask-answer/question/could-anyone-please-define-stimuli-stimulus-and-excretion/the-living-organisms-and-their-surroundings/3433328
7. Evolve : Populations change. http://www.hras.org/sw/sw11-04.html
8. Genetic code http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/handbook/basics/dna
9. Cells http://schoolworkhelper.net/plant-animal-cells-staining-lab-answers/ http://montessorimuddle.org/2010/09/22/cells-cells-cells/
Living things Living things are similar in that they rely on many of the same processes to stay alive, yet are different in the ways that these processes are carried out. Examples of life processes: nutrition, transport, respiration, regulation, reproduction, and locomotion
Nonliving things Nonliving things lack certain features of living organisms, such as the ability to maintain a cellular organization, carry out metabolic processes while maintaining internal stability (homeostasis), and pass on hereditary information through reproduction.
Exit ticket The video you watched at the beginning of the class was mercury. Obviously, mercury is not alive! Now, explain why mercury is not alive mentioning at least three properties of life.
Homework Write an essay explaining why humans are living organisms. Use at least five properties of life you learned in class to support your essay.