agenda n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
AGENDA PowerPoint Presentation
play fullscreen
1 / 19
Download Presentation

AGENDA - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

jimbo
142 Views
Download Presentation

AGENDA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. AGENDA • Minutes of meeting held on 25 July 2001 • GridPP Management • GridPP Status • GridPP Finances • Displacement • Dissemination • Any Other Business • Next Meetings Minutes - volunteer? GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  2. Attendance • Apologies • Substitutions: • Durham James Stirling (or Apologies) • Glasgow Tony Doyle • Lancaster Roger Jones • RAL Dave Morrell • RHUL Hywel Phillips GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  3. Previous meeting • Minutes Approved? • Actions arising: • EB ToR are on web (www.gridpp.ac.uk/eb) • Project Leader information was circulated • Displacement clarification – asked for but not forthcoming (see later) • Displacement ‘interviews’ – not yet done pending final strategy decision (see later) • Peer Review Board set up (not quite as agreed at last meeting) (see later) GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  4. Previous Meeting • Globus Licence – some backtracking – probably no COGS umbrella – continue inside Globus • CERN Recruitment – underway (see later) • RAL Posts: • WP3 – 2 filled, 1 under offer • WP5 – Not yet filled (using agency staff) • WP8 – Filled (other posts – see later) GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  5. GridPP Management Collaboration Board Established Project Management Board Established Peer Review Selection Committee Established Technical Board Interim Technical Advisory Group established Experiments Board Established Dissemination Board Tier Centres Working Groups GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  6. Experiments Board • ATLAS Roger Jones, Andy Parker • CMS Dave Britton, Dave Newbold • LHCb Nick Brook (Chair), Glenn Patrick • ALICE Ian Bloodworth • BaBar Roger Barlow (Deputy Chair) • D0 Iain Bertram • CDF Todd Huffman • Others Dan Tovey • Theory Alan Irving • CERN Jamie Shiers • TB Cross Members: Pete Clarke, + tbd • Members chosen by Experiments • Chair and Deputy elected by Board • CB Endorsement? GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  7. Technical Board • Not yet fully set up – Awaiting full definition of Project + Deliverables • Technical Assessment Group (TAG) is TB at present • Pete Clarke (TB Chair) • Robin Middleton • John Gordon • Les Robertson • Tony Doyle • Dave Colling • Andrew McNab GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  8. Project Management Board • Project Leader Tony Doyle Appointed by CB • Deputy Project Leader John Gordon Appointed by Project Leader • Chair of Collaboration Board Steve Lloyd Ex officio • Chair of Technical Board Pete Clarke Appointed by Project Leader • Chair of Experiments Board Nick Brook Ex officio • Deputy Chair of EB Roger Barlow Ex officio • Resource Manager Dave Britton Appointed by Project Leader • DataGrid UK Project Leader Robin Middleton Ex officio • CERN Liasion Les Robertson Appointed by CERN • e-Science Director Neil Geddes Ex officio • As proposal plus Resource Manager (agreed last time) + DataGrid UK Project Leader (agreed by PMB) + Part time Secretary at Glasgow • Three year posts (except EB 1+2) • CB Endorsement? GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  9. Dissemination Board • Not yet set up • Proposed before Core e-Science National and Regional centres • Do we need yet another committee or is it better to concentrate on actual dissemination e.g. through our Regional Centres and the Core centres? • See later on Agenda GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  10. Peer Review Selection Committee • Chair David Williams (CERN) • Chair of PPRP Neville Harnew • Chair of PPGC George Lafferty • GridPP Project Leader Tony Doyle • Chair of GridPP CB Steve Lloyd • Chair of GridPP TB Pete Clarke • Director e-Science Neil Geddes (in attendance) • As proposal apart from Chair of TB – agreed by PMB to provide Technical Input from GridPP side • Chair not directly from our community as agreed last time • CB Endorsement? GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  11. GridPP Status + Finances • GridPP Status Report • GridPP Financial Report by Project Leader, Tony Doyle GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  12. Displacement • Two problems for PP at PPARC: • (A) A PPARC overall funding shortfall of about £4.3M which applies to the sum of the PP and A budgets • (B) The lack of indexation for the core PP programme resulting in effectively a cut of roughly £6M over 3 years • No-one knows (or will say) how these figures arose. • PPARC Council decided that (A) should have the first call on any displacement i.e. anything we displace will get split between PP and A unless we are very careful • To ‘solve’ the PP problem requires ~£10M displacement over 3 years • GridPP only got £17M rather than £20M originally assumed • Approximately £14M is ‘committed’ (including the next 15 jobs) GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  13. Displacement Displacement £2.5M Travel ~15 New posts about to be allocated £0.8M GridPP Staff + Managers £2.8M Includes ~£0.6M Scalar Computing Hardware already displaced. Also BaBar Tier-A can count towards BaBar M&O (= Displacement) £2.5M £17M Hardware DataGrid Staff £2.5M (Committed) CERN Hardware + Staff £5.8M (~1/3) (£1.3M + £4.5M) (+Training ~£0.1M? ) GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  14. Displacement ~ 5 fte ~ £0.9M Easily identified and justified RAL PPD Staff Total 9 fte to be displaced over 3 years (agreed by PPC) – currently assume 0, 3, 9 in 3 years ~£1.0M could be more if beneficial. Easily identified to run Tier-1/A RAL ITD Staff £2.5M University Staff Leaves £0.6M ~4 fte Nothing is decided or committed GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  15. Displacement • Types of Displacement: • Type 1: New – new staff in new Grid posts paid for by e-Science money • Type 2: Transfer – Existing staff move to new Grid posts paid for by e-Science money. A new person fills the old PP post paid for from Grants money • Type 3: Displacement – Existing staff are deemed to be doing e-Science and are paid for by e-Science money. Their existing PP funding is available for use elsewhere . • What is the best strategy? • How do we maximise the amount of money going back into PP (rather than top sliced to PP+A)? • What happens at the next Grants round GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  16. Dissemination Topics • Core e-Science Centres • Next Collaboration Meeting (5/6 November) to be held at the National e-Science Centre in Edinburgh • 3rd at Cambridge Regional e-Science Centre – Feb 2002? • 4th – volunteers? • UK Grid Support Centre • Technical collaboration at RAL e.g. Andrew Sansum • AstroGrid • SLL Attended 2 Day AstroGrid Collaboration Meeting • Contacts established: SLL (GridPP) and Nick Walton (AstroGrid Project Scientist) • Nick will speak at next GridPP Collaboration Meeting • Technical Collaboration on Networking and Storage GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  17. Dissemination Topics • PPARC Council Sub-Group on Exploitation (?) • SLL to present GridPP at next meeting (31 October) • DataGrid Industry and Research Steering Group • SLL represents UK • Web Pages • GridPP Web pages (www.gridpp.ac.uk) now have common style • Sophisticated editing facility using Globus certificates (Andy McNab) being packaged for wider use • Press • Nina Hall in touch with TD for Frontiers update. • SLL contacted by Mobile Computing & Communications Magazine! GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  18. Any Other Business Any other business ? GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001

  19. Next Meetings • How frequently should we meet? • We probably should meet in Spring 2002 (May?) • Jobs all allocated • Displacement settled? • Complete project defined • Annual report to PPARC GridPP CB Meeting 23 October 2001