Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Dr Vojislav Kandi ć IFC Advisory Services in Infrastructure. Private Sector Participation in Infrastructure in the Balkans - Experiences and Lessons Learned -. September 25, 2009. International Finance Corporation 1956. International Development Association 1960
IFC Advisory Services in Infrastructure
Private Sector Participation in Infrastructure in the Balkans
- Experiences and Lessons Learned -
September 25, 2009
Provides concessional loans to
governments of the poorest countries.
International Bank for
Reconstruction and Development
Lends to governments of middle income developing countries.
Provides guarantees to foreign investors
against non-commercial risk
International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes
Settles investment disputes between foreign investors and host countries.International Finance Corporation
IFC is a member of the World Bank Group
Well structured PPPs provide following general benefits:
PPP should be structured in a manner which allocates specific risks to the parties which are best positioned to handle them.
Specific forms of PPPs that are often applied in the emerging markets are different form PPP structures typically found in the developed countries:
1) Projects require definition—and sometimes redefinition
2) The advisor has to help the client understand what is realistic
3) Understanding the concerns of the bidders and working with the client to address possible issues
4) It is extremely difficult to pre-negotiate a perfect contract that will fit all possible scenarios
5) Important issues not addressed in the early stages of the tender can have a potentially devastating effect later
The advisor often needs to start with creating a legislative framework that would be conducive to PPPs and reflect best international practice, and help establish a PPP unit/agency
“...after living 20 years in the most advanced nations, I have come to the conclusion that civilization consists of having security in regard to life, honor and goods. That, and only that, is what we call civilization...” Juan B. Alberdi,father of the Argentine Constitution of 1853
1. Experience in Sector Transactions
2. Balancing Private and Public Sector Interests
3. Transparency and Investor Confidence
4. Exceptional commitment to the Balkan region – Regional Office in Belgrade
5. Multi-Skilled and Experienced Team
6. Pursuit of sustainable economic and social benefits
7. Synergies within the World Bank Group
8. Ties with the Global Investment Community
9. Willingness to go “the extra mile”