1. The BILL OF RIGHTS Proposed 9/25/1789
2. FIRST AMENDMENTFreedom of… RELIGION
3. Establishment Clause The Government cannot establish one religion over another or religion over no religion for all citizens
4. Free Exercise Clause Citizens are free to exercise (practice) any religion they choose
5. 2nd Amendment THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS
The Federal Govt cannot disarm a state militia (national guard)
6. Gun Control v. Gun Rights The 2nd amendment protects everyone’s right to own a weapon
ALLOWING GUNS Individuals should be limited in their right to own a gun
7. What is an arm? The Constitution does not define what an arm is…
…thus,some believe an arm is a concealed weapon, others an uzi, others a knife…
What do you think should be considered an arm?
8. 3RD AMENDMENT No Quartering of Soldiers
9. 4th Amendment No Unreasonable Search and Seizure
Most causes require a search warrant
10. 4th Amendment Probable Cause (33%)
Reasonable Suspicion (20%)
“STOP AND FRISK”
NO WARRANT NEEDED!!
11. 4th amendment The police must be 20% or 33% concern of your guilt before an arrest can be made
A reasonable judge must back of the police officers’ story
12. Exclusionary Rule Any evidence obtained illegally cannot be used in a court of law
Mapp v. Ohio (1961)
13. 5th Amendment Right to…
No Double Jeopardy
14. 5th amendment No self-incrimination
“I plead the 5th”
You cannot be tried for the same crime at the SAME level of jurisdiction
The government must be fair in its actions
Examining the evidence before your trial
The government must pay you fairly for your private property for PUBLIC USE
15. Miranda v. Arizona (1966) Does the police practice of interrogating individuals without notifying them of their right to counsel and their protection against self-incrimination violate the Fifth Amendment?
Yes, police officers must notify suspects of their 5th amendment rights
Over the age of 18
During interrogation and during arrest
16. 6th Amendment Speedy Trial by Jury
17. 7th Amendment Right to a Trial by Jury in CIVIL cases
No jail time
18. 8th Amendment No Cruel and Unusual Punishment
No excessive bails or fines
19. Death Penalty Furman v. Georgia
Outlawed the Death Penalty
Gregg v. Georgia
Reinstated the death penalty as long as it is applied “fairly”
20. Death Penalty by state
21. 9th Amendment Rights to the People
22. 10th Amendment Rights to the States
23. Extra Credit In 1791, the Founders wanted to include TWO OTHER amendments in the original BILL OF RIGHTS.
What were those TWO OTHER amendments?
CITE YOUR SOURCE!!