Renewable Resources: Forest Ecosystems. Original. Today. Frontier. D. Choices. B. A. Which seems the poorest choice?. C. http://www.cwbiodiesel.com/biodiesel/palm_oil.html. Time Appropriate Questions. What do forest ecosystems provide? What is important or valuable?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Reference: Richard Louv’s Last Child in the Woods (2006)
Approach 1. Save a species!
Picture: C.J. Earle
2. Ensure a function!
• Understand where the hidden sink for carbon dioxide is?
• Use forest systems to take up CO2.
Approach taken by Canada - Kyoto Protocol
• Issues of scale (quality of info vs. extent of info)
• Unknowns (soil carbon)
• Searchinger, T. et al. 2008. Science Express
• Fargione, J. et al. 2008. Sci. Express
Work on maintaining “properly” functioning ecosystems
Key: Remember all the functions?
• National Commission on Science for Sustainable Forestry (NCSSF)
• Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Program (MEA)
And that is based on
• Apparently intensive use of the land
• Is the use sustainable? And how does land use reflect and affect the inhabitants?
• Idea of eco-political tsunamis
Conversion from local land race of corn to new hybrid corn
Definition of Ecosystem Goods and Services
Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Program
Ecosystem goods: Biophysical elements that are directly, or indirectly, consumed by humans
Ecosystem services: processes that produce, or support the production of, ecosystem goods (most involve some biogeochemical cycle).
Indirect Drivers of Change
• Science & technology
• Cultural & religious
Human well-being & poverty reduction
Direct Drivers of Change
• Changes in land use & land cover
• Species removal or introductions
• Climate change
• Natural physical & biological drivers
• External inputs
Life on Earth: BiodiversityMEA Conceptual Framework