Chapter 14-15 The Age of Imperialism. 1850-1914. Questions to ask?. What are some reasons/motives on why countries(think of yours) would take over another country? (Create a list) How will the actions of Europeans impact the people of the nations Europeans are taking over?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Why would Europeans develop this ideology and what basis did it serve?
4. GOD: Desire to spread their religions and beliefs
5. Civilization: Western way of life and culture superior to that of other nations because of new advancements and progress
6. Economic (greed): Need for natural resources, expand markets, desire to invest profits, outlet needed for growing population.
A. Internal forces in Europe:
1. Industrial Revolution
2. Age of Exploration
3. Easy travel and communication
4. Technology: Weapons= Maxim gun
5. Revolutions!!! Dramatic change!!!
B. External forces:
Areas such as Africa, S. America, Asia all were disunited and were troubled with internal problems. No real feeling of Nationalism to bring the people together. Life disrupted by events such as the slave trade and early exposure to European Explorers who came and conquered.
1. Keep peace within Europe
2. Help the undermined, feeble, weak exist in the new society of European power and dominace
Questions to think about….
-Hundreds of ethnic groups and religions
-Thousands of languages
-Varied political systems
-Difficult terrain, natural
-Trade networks already in place
-Full of Resources/materials, etc.
*But did Slavery
2. Technology – helped to control Africa while maintaining contact with home; (machine gun, quinine)
3.The Ottoman Empire broke apart, and European powers took some of its lands in Northern Africa (Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia, etc. )
1.Lack of unity of African people eventually “wander” into the “Dark Continent”?
2. The discovery of gold and diamonds and other valuable resources in Africa increased European interest in the continent
HOW WERE THEY GOING TO DO THIS?
Berlin Conference 1885: city-states, European established colonial claims in Africa.
Slicing Africa like a cake!!! Everyone can enjoy as long as you don’t take too much!
European powers met and agreed that any nation could claim any part of Africa simply by telling the others and showing that they had control of the area.
IE. Tried to make people more “French” or more “British).
(Food, religion, politics, customs, traditions, values, morals, etc. )
AFRICA LEFT IN SHAMBLES!!!!!