Culturally Responsive Parental Engagement. Edward O. Manyibe , Ph.D., CRC Mary Ann Teal-Harris Vivien Adeleye Jerod Gleason Rene Takang Department of Rehabilitation Counseling & Disability Studies Langston University. Learning Objectives.
Edward O. Manyibe, Ph.D., CRC
Mary Ann Teal-Harris
Department of Rehabilitation Counseling & Disability Studies
Source: National Center for Cultural Competence http://nccc.georgetown.edu/foundations/frameworks.html#ccdefinition
CRPE Is a process designed to ensure parents’ connection to the agency’s culture, purpose, and organization.
• More and more parents speak languages other than English or may speak several English dialects.
• The parents and families joining our schools may have had different, few, or no experiences with formal education thus bringing new expectations and challenges to transition programs
• New immigrants may be undergoing cultural dissonance and acculturation
The Goal of CRPE is to improve postsecondary outcomes for students with disabilities:
• Meaningful CRPE will enhance Student Success
• The future economic and moral success of our nation depends on the success of every child
• Rapid Demographics shifts witnessed today demand a workforce that is culturally competent.