Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
By: Mr Hashem Alaidaros MIS 101 Lecture 2Title: Computer Software
Objective • To know what are the computer software types • To be familiar with virus, hacker, spyware
Software Types • Software: Consists of a series of instructions that tells the computer what to do. • Also called “program” • Three types of software: • System software (Operating System) • Utility software • Application software
1. System Software • What is System Software? • It is programs that control or maintain the operations of the computer and its devices • Manage all software and hardware tasks • BIOS • Operating System (OS): • Allow users to run application software • Manages the computer processes • Functioning as interface connecting the user, the application and the hardware. How?
System software EXAMPLES of Input/Output operations • OS reads mouse movement and writes to display screen. • You move the mouse---what do you expect to happen? • What that involves… • Manage interrupt. • OS reads mouse wheels. • OS draws cursor arrow (changes pixel colors so arrow appears to be “moving”).
System Software • Windows XP (Microsoft product) • Mac • Linux: freeware (Open source) • Unix
Command-driven vs. Menu-driven Interface User interface: • Controls the manner of interaction between the user and the operating system Command-driven interface • The user must type in strings of characters to issue commands. The mouse may NOT be used Menu-driven interface • The user is provided with menus (on-screen lists of options to choose from) that are used to issue commands
Multitasking • The execution of two or more programs by one user concurrently on the same computer with one central processor
Graphical User Interface • GUI: • Allows you to interact with the software using graphics and icons • Controls how you enter data and how the screen displays information
2. Utility Software • Utility Programs allow the user to perform maintenance-type tasks usually related to managing a computer, its devices or its programs • Types of utility software • Disk image • Disk optimization • Encrypt data • File and data recovery • Text protect • Preventative security • Spyware • Uninstaller
3. Application Software • Application software are programs that perform specific tasks for users (It is the reason that one wants to buy a computer). • Types of application software • Bowser • Communication • Data management • E-mail • Presentation graphics • Programming • Spreadsheet • Word processing
Application Software • Includes many executable filesand data files: • Installer program (eg: setup.exe) • Uninstaller program (why important?) • Main executable file (eg: winword.exe) • Support modules (eg: .dll files) • Called by the PROGRAM, not by the user • Data modules (eg: MS Word dictionary)
Application Software • Two types of Application software: • Prewritten application software • Custom application software
1. Pre-written • It is Ready application • Users only need to install (with a little modification if need) the software on their hardware • It has two important benefits: • Available now and on the hand • Less expensive than custom software
2. Custom • What if an organization has unique business need? • In these cases, the business may have its own programmers to create a software to meet their needs • Programmer: Someone who develops application or system software • Programmer writes the instructions to direct the computer to process data into information • Why is custom software more expensive than prewritten software?
Software Updates • Operating system update and application software update • Operating system: Windows • Application software: real player • New hardware and software daily • Benefits of updates: • Security • Efficiency
Software Updates • How to update? • For windows, update from www.microsoft.com • Or: from Internet explorer: tool-> windows update • Once a week or a month • No email receive for update (Be careful)
Hacker • Hacker: are people who try to break into computer systems in order to: • get information • Deny accessing to your computer resources • Delete files and others
Virus • Computer viruses are: small computer programs that replicate by inserting themselves into computer recourses • Files and programs become infected • Worm is type of virus and it doesn’t have to attach itself to a program or file to cause harm (Self-contained) • Worm can: • Delete files • Change files • Send email • Cause problem in a number of other ways
Virus • How to be protected from viruses? • Install antivirus software • AVG, Norton, MCafee,…etc • Security strength and Performance • Update
Spyware • Spyware is a small computer program that monitors what you are doing with your computer resources. • Advertisement pop-up • Auntispyware software: adware, microsoft antispyware