MIDTERM BY: BRANDON WILSON
Directory • Midterm review and Chapter 1 pages 3-132 • Chapter 2 Chemistry of Life 133-199 • Chapter 3 Cell Structure 200-286 • Chapter 4 Cells and Energy 287-335 • Chapter 5 Cell growth • Chapter 8 DNA to Proteins
1.Name this molecule which has a polar head and two non-polar tails and is used to make cell membranes.
2.Molecules (like lipids) that are “water fearing” and try to stay away from water and other polar molecules are called___________________.
3.Organisms like green plants that can make their own food are called ________________.
4.A “living thing” can also be called a(n) ____________________.
7.The nitrogen base that is NOT found in RNA is _______________.Adenine Guanine Cytosine Thymine Uracil
8.The process in which cells change as they grow to become different kinds of cells with different functions is called_________________.
9.The name of the type of reproduction in which genetic material from two parents is combined to produce offspring.
10.The sum of all the chemical reactions that build up and break down molecules in cells is called_____________________.
11. Cells always try to maintain a stable internal environment. This is called____________________.
12. Which of the following molecules could you join together to make a polysaccharide? A B C D
13. A molecule with an uneven distribution of electric charges (more positive on one side and more negative on the other) is called____________.
15. The monomers (subunits) used to make proteins are________________.amino acids nucleic acids sugars lipids nitrogen bases
16. Which of the following molecules could you use to build a DNA molecule? A B C D
17.Animal cells store glucose in our tissues in the form of________________.Starch glycogen cellulose glycoproteins ATP
18. DNA and RNA are both_________________________.Amino acids nucleic acids carbohydrates lipids proteins
19. The branch of science that studies all living things is called___________.
Polar – gives water properties like cohesion adhesion and capillary action
21. This type of chemical reaction is called________________.
22. Humans are _____ and _____.Unicellular AutotrophsOr OrMulticellular Heterotrophs
Demonstrates heridity (DNA)Made of cellsResponds to stimuliMetabolism (require energy)Maintain homeostasisReproduce (asexual or sexual)Grow/evolve/adapt
26. List the three parts of the Cell Theory ____________, ______________, & _____________.
Cell is smallest unit of life, all living things made of cells, and all cells come from other cells.