Chapter 7: States of Consciousness. Warm UP. Check Grade Find new seats Get out Homework. Come up with a team answer for the following questions: Come up with 3 ways you can improve your 2 nd quarter grade. Define consciousness in your own words.
Come up with a team answer for the following questions: Come up with 3 ways you can improve your 2nd quarter grade.
1. What are tolerance, dependence, and addiction and what are some common misconceptions about addiction?
2.What are some depressants and what are their side effects?
3. What are some stimulants and what are their side effects?
4. What are hallucinogens and what are their effects?
5. What are some differences between physical and psychological withdrawal?
True or False. Most American adults get the recommended 8 hours of sleep per night
True or False. Boredom makes you feel sleepy, even if you have had enough sleep
True or False. Dolphins, porpoises and whales sleep with one side of their brain at a time
True or False. Horses, which spend 92% of each day standing and can sleep standing, must lie down for REM sleep
True or False. People rarely snore during dreams. When REM starts, snoring stops
True or False. If you dream you are falling and hit the ground, you die.
True or False. Rapid eye movement stirs the liquid behind the cornea. This delivers fresh oxygen to the cornea cells, so that they don’t die
Pick up all 3 papers on the front table
Do sleep quiz
Check grade and write down hw
Ex: 28 day menstrual cycle, 24 hour alertness cycle, annual cycle, 90 minute sleep cycles.
Mary and Julie have been attending dance practice every morning from 6am to 8:30 am and are trying to learn a new routine to compete successfully in a dance competition. Give an example of how each of the following could affect their practice and their upcoming performance. Definitions without application do not score.
3. Sleep Deprivation
4. Fantasy Prone Personality
5. Biological Rhythms
4. What is the difference between Alpha and Delta waves?
5. What happens during REM sleep?
6. Why is REM sleep considered paradoxical sleep?
7. What is the difference between sleep apnea, insomnia and narcolepsy?
8. What is the difference between drug withdraw and drug tolerance?
9. List 2 Depressants. What do depressant do to the body
10. List 2 stimulants. What do stimulants do to the body
11. List 2 hallucinogens. What do hallucinogens do to the body
12. What do opiates do to your endorphin levels?
Pick up warm up off of overhead
Get out hw
As Information Processing
Can anyone Experience Hypnosis?
Can Hypnosis Enhance Recall of Forgotten Events?
Can hypnosis force ppl to act against their will?
Hypnosis as a social phenomenon
Hypnosis As A Divided Consciousness
Is a part of the person that has the experience.Hilgard’s Hidden Observer
Was put forth by many philosophers including Renee Descartes and Socrates.Dualism
Mind and body cannot be separated without bodies we are nobodies.
Thomas Hobbes along with many philosophers and scientists support this viewpoint.Monism (Materialism)