3B. Chapter. Describing Data Visually (Part 2). Scatter Plots Tables Pie Charts Effective Excel Charts Maps and Pictograms Deceptive Graphs. McGraw-Hill/Irwin. © 2008 The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved. Scatter Plots.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Little or no association
Select the XY (Scatter) option.
1. Keep the table simple, consistent with its purpose.- Summary tables go in the main body.- Detailed tables go in an appendix.- In a slide show, main point of table should be clear within 10 seconds, otherwise, break up table.
2. Display the data to be compared in columns.
3. Round off data to 3 or 4 significant digits.
4. Table layout should guide the eye towards the desired comparison.- Use spaces or shading to separate rows or columns.- Use lines sparingly.
5. Keep row and column headings simple yet descriptive.
6. Use a consistent number of decimal digits within a column.- Right-justify or decimal align the data.
Exploded Pie Chart
- Improve the titles (main, X-axis, Y-axis).
- Change the axis scales (minimum, maximum, demarcations).
- Display the data values (on the top of each bar).
- Add a data table underneath the graph.
- Change color or patterns in the plot or chart areas.
- Format the decimals (on the axes or data labels).
- Edit the gridlines (color, dotted or solid, patterns).
- Alter the appearance of the bars (color, pattern, gap width).
Embellished bar chart
Effective Excel Charts
Multiple bar chart
Effective Excel Charts
- Bubble chart displays three variables on a 2-dimensional scatter plot.
- Note: bubble size is proportional to third variable.
Data from http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/HowToBubble.html
- Stock chart for high/low/close stock prices.
- Radar (or Spider) chart compares individual performance against abenchmark.
- Caution, data may be distorted by emphasized areas.
- Appropriate when patterns of variation across space are of interest.
- Self-explanatory and revealing.
- Assess patterns based on geography.