Exploring Corpora with Young Learners. Sofia Funenga Lisbon, 26th November. Context. Class: - 4th year - 9 / 10 years old (English language learners fro m the age of 3) - A2 / B1 level Topic : - Dinosaurs
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Lisbon, 26th November
Class: - 4th year
- 9 / 10 years old
(English language learners from the age of 3)
- A2 / B1 level
Topic: - Dinosaurs
Languagefocus: - Vocabularyandchunksrelated to dinosaurs
1. Inpairs, readthetextandthen decide whethereachsentenceistrueorfalse.
2. Youhave 5 minutes to complete thistask.
1. Listen to a news reportaboutJurassicParkandfillinthegaps.
Now, to complete eachsentence, choosethecorrectoption.
At home, you can go to
the Natural History Museum site
and find out much more about dinosaurs.
Off yougo, now!
You did really good today!
highest number of hits for both words : Corpus of Contemporary American English
1. Use of COCA to findoutwhichwords are more commonlyrelated to dinosaur
3. Design thewordsearch puzzle usingthe
1 – BONES (97 hits)
2 - MONUMENT (55 hits)
3 – FOSSILS (52 hits)
4 - EGGS (41 hits)
10 - MUSEUM (23 hits)
19 – SKELETON (18 hits)
20 – PALEONTOLOGISTS (15 hits)
21 – JURASSIC (15 hits)
22 – DIG (15 hits)
32 – FOOTPRINTS (12 hits)
1. Selectionofthetext: finding a real text
2. Check the level of the text – Oxford 3000
3. Design thetrue / falseexercise
“Teachers can design a gap filling task for students to do in pairs. (...) Teachers can use the authentic contexts searched from corpora to compose a gap-filling sheet for students to work on.” (Chen 2004)
3. Design exercise
2. Design theexercise
Suggestionofvisitingthe website ofthe