Population Dynamics. Populations change over time. Lots of factors affect populations The organisms themselves The habitat How they reproduce Predator – prey interactions (and lots more!!). Check out the predator / prey relationship on the graph. Limiting Factor.
Sea otters protect kelp forests from damage by sea urchins.
Kelp "roots", called holdfasts, are anchors, and not the vast nutrient gathering networks of land plants.
Sea urchins only need to eat the roots of the kelp, a tiny fraction of the plant's biomass, to remove it from the ecosystem.
Control Beads (Otheranimalsfound in thehabitat)
1) Eachgenerationwillbeginwith at least10 mice and 1 fox.
3) Thehabitat can support no more than100 mice(itscarryingcapacity)
4) Eachpredator in eachgeneration MUST capture at least5 micetosurvive and produce offspring.
5) Yellow control beadsshouldalwaysbereturnedafterEACH predatorhas had a turn.
6) PredatorsMAY NOT LOOK whilepickingoutthebeads.
X = prey
O = predator