HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF SPORT. Recap : Medieval era. Activities were occasional due to limited time and energy simple in nature and orally passed down through generations f unctional first particularly for hunting and defence p articipated in during feasts and festivals
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The barbarian phase.
The games cult and philistine copies
The impact of athleticism on society
1. Explain how public schools in the 19th century used sport and games as a means of social control. (4)
2. Give reasons for the importance of combat sports in pre industrial society. (4)
3. Outline the main characteristics of festival games in the UK before 1800. (5)
4. In pre-industrial Britain, peasant sports were described as ‘occasional and rural’.
(i) Explain when and where peasant sports would take place. (3)
(ii) Outline four other main characteristics of peasant sports in pre-industrial Britain. (4)
5. Explain how public schools, at the beginning of the 19th century, adapted festival games in order to make them an essential element in the training of a gentleman. (5)