HOHENSCHWANGAU (Castle of the High Swan County). BY: JULIE M. FELCI. Map of Hohenschwangau. History of Hohenschwangau. The castle is located in the German village of Schwangau in southwestern Bavaria. King Maximilian II. November 28, 1811 - March 10, 1864. King of Bavaria from 1848 – 1864.
BY: JULIE M. FELCI
“Maximilian was a man of amiable qualities and of intellectual attainments far above the average, but as a king he was hampered by constant ill health, which compelled him to be often abroad, and when at home to live much in the country.”
Before it was a chapel, it used to be a place to hold armory and it was also a drinking hall but was later rebuilt to a neogothic style chapel under the orders of King Maximilian II. The Chapel is still used today for Holy Mass.
The Hall of the Swan-Knight was the dining room which is very famous for it’s wall paintings. The chairs in the dining room are covered by pressed leather partly gilded.
According to Bavarian saga, Charlemagne was born at the Reissmuhle of Gauting near Starnberg Lake. The wall paintings are dedicated to Charlemagne and his mother Berchta.
The Living Room belonged to the Queen. This room is decorated with many beautiful fresco paintings and swans. In the middle of the room hangs a big silver chandelier. This room was restored in 1849.
The Hall of Heroes was the festive hall. This hall has a large table with many chairs, gigantic chandeliers and many paintings depicting the legends of Dietrich of Berne.
The Hohenstaufen Room was the King’s dressing room and music room. The King’s son, Ludwig II would have Richard Wagner play his original works of music just for his enjoyment.
This is a painting of Richard Wagner and Ludwig II at the piano in the Hohenstaufen Room.
The Tasso Room was the royal bedroom. The paintings illustrate the tale of Rinaldo and Armida by the Italian poet Torquato Tasso hence the Tasso Room.
The Authari Room is named after the Bavarian saga of Authari who was the King of the Langobards. This is the room where Richard Wagner would stay during his visits to the castle.
(The Prince’s Road)