“Reaching a Child’s Heart”. Deuteronomy 6:6-9. The Key to Opening A Child’s Heart to Jesus : Parents who themselves seek the Lord.
Vs. 7 - “you shall teach them diligently…”Vs. 7 – “you shall talk of them…”Vs. 7 – “when you sit in your house”Vs. 7 – “when you walk by the way”Vs. 7 – “when you lie down”Vs. 7 – “when you rise up”
Vss. 8-9 – “bind them on your hand; forehead; “write them on your doorposts; gates”
The Great Commission – “go…make disciples …baptize…teach them all things…”
Labor where they are!
e.g. Good News @ Noon Revival (June 8-11)
“…do not hinder them…” (Matthew 19:14).
Child comes from an unbelieving family“we know a stronger family… (church!) and Father!” (in heaven)
Lack of Bible truth
* reality and consequences of sin * forgiveness and grace in Jesus Christ
Connection Point: The home! * mom and dad (Deut. 6 on your hearts) *dad spiritual leader of family* Children learn by observing parents: -- systematic reading of the Word -- prayer for daily needs -- notation of answered prayer
Church ministries (2-3 hours week) supplementResult: lifestyle impact rather than event impact
“And these words…shall be on your heart”
They love heroes!
Strength and might
Stir interest by reading the Bible
Pray with your children
* Parents’ experiences (the “railroad”)
* Limited understanding of a child (he/she is only…. 5,6,7,8!!!)
Right and wrong (sin)
God sees all + punishment for sin + His love
Substitution (Jesus on the cross)
John 6:44 – “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him.”
Notice when salvation becomes the pre-occupation of the child’s mind and heart
In God’s sovereign plan, this draw occurs at different ages!
When the Lord draws, people either resist or yield to His love, and message.
1. Celebrate children! (birthdays = Psalm 127:3; Jeremiah 29:11-14)
2. Assist with VBS this week; Thurs. night dessert reception “hosts”/hostesses”
3. Commit to SS teaching, SS support, AWANA
4. Join the Thursday night GROW efforts