Spectacle frame. Faculty Aravind School of Optometry. Spectacle -Definition. An optical appliance. Combination of lens and frame front with extended sides. Holds the lenses in the proper position before the eyes. Frame front. Front : portion that contains lens.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Aravind School of Optometry
An optical appliance.
Temple: attaches to the frame front and hooks over the ears.
Earpiece/ Curl: part of temple lies past the temple bend
Includes Shaft/Shank, Bend, Shield, Dowel Hole, Butt portion.
- first introduced in the late 1940s
- unbreakable, hypoallergenic material.
- used for injection-molded sun glasses and men’s frame styles.
- because of brittleness and other problems, manufacturers switched to blended nylon .
- blended nylon frames are both strong and lightweight.
- a hypoallergenic and light weight material.
- maintains its original shape ,long time.
- strong stable material for making nose pad arms, bridges and end pieces.
- the most widely used malleable and corrosion-resistant material.
& adjustment is difficult due to the “springy” characteristics of the material.
- alloy metal comprised of manganese, nickel, iron and chromium.
- popular & lighter than titanium and highly corrosion-resistant.
- used primarily by high-end eyewear designers because of the unique look it creates.
- the most widely used, nonferrous material.
- Pure aluminum is actually soft and weak, but commercial aluminum with small amounts of silicon and iron is hard and strong.
- rigid material that is difficult to adjust.
- lower-cost alternative to titanium eyewear
- resists corrosion and tarnish.
- an excellent choice for wearers who have high skin acidity or spend a good amount of time in or around salt water.
- lightweight, very strong, very flexible (making it easy to adjust glasses)
- available in a wide range of colors used in making temples with other metals.
Cobalt : provides good polish and finish in thin frames and expensive.
A system based on rectangle formed by the horizontal & vertical lines tangential to the extremes of each lens.
( Frame PD/ Geo.Center) is necessary to determine the blank size.)
Inaccurate sizes greatly affect the overall cosmetic appearance and comfort ness.
i.e.,50 / 2 = 25 mm
i.e.,25 – 3 = 22 mm,.
(lens size + DBL) – Patient PD