Reading (II). Maple Country -- Canada. the largest country in the world. the second largest country in the world. 3rd. 4th. has an area of 9,984,670 square kilometers; the distance from east to west is5,500 kilometers. size. population. a population of 29 million. capital. Ottawa.
the second largest country in the world
has an area of 9,984,670 square kilometers; the distance from east to west is5,500 kilometers.
a population of 29 million.
settlers from France
settlers from England
The first settlers arrived from
England in 1497.
Settlers from France reached
Canada in 1534.
English and French
the TV and
in the north
snow for six months
January : 3℃
July : 18 ℃
winter --- -10℃
Summer --- 21 ℃
different from area to area (as in china )
the five great lakes
one third of the world’s fresh water
most of the electricity is produced by water
Much of the country is covered by forests;
the next morning
they saw beautiful maple trees and realized that fall had come.
they arrived in Toronto.
late that night
the train left.
at dawn the next morning
they arrived in Montreal.
in the lovely shops and visiting the artists in their workplaces beside the water.
they spend the afternoon
the train was speeding down to the East Coast.
1. How many cities did they visit in the text?
2. In what direction did they take the train?
3. What tree did they see outside their windows?
4. What season was it?
Two. Toronto, Montreal.
They took the train to the northeast.
It was fall / autumn.
6. What can sometimes be seen from the
CN Tower in Toronto?
7. Where does the water from the lake go?
8. Which direction is the train going from Toronto?
We know it is fall in Canada because the maple trees are red and gold and orange, and there is frost on the ground.
Sometimes the misty cloud that rises from Niagara Falls can be seen from the CN Tower.
The water from the lake goes into the Niagara River and over the falls on its way to the sea.
The train is going east (northeast) from Toronto.
9. What three things show us that
Montreal is a French city?
The next morning the red, gold and orange _______ and maple trees outside their windows and the frost on the ground _______ that fall had arrived in Canada.
After arriving in Toronto, the biggest and ____________ city in Canada, around noon, Li Daiyu and her cousins went on a tour of the city. Having climbed up the tall CN Tower, they looked across the lake. _____________, the _____ cloud rising from the great Niagara Falls, which is on the south side of the lake, could be seen.
In the distance
The train left late that night and arrived in Montreal at dawn the next morning. At a _____ restaurant, they were looking over the _____ St Lawrence River when they met a young man called Henri, who told them that most people in the city spoke both English and French, but the city had French culture and _________.
1) Has everyone confirmed (that) they’re coming?
2) The walk in the mountains confirmed his fear of heights.
3) He was confirmed as captain for the rest of the season.
[自我归纳] confirm意为__________ (句1、句2)，后可接that从句；也可意为________________________ (句3)。
[拓展] confirmation n. 证实、确认书、证明书
2. They were not leaving for Montreal until later, so they went on a tour of the city. 她们要晚些时候才动身去蒙特利尔,因此就在多伦多市内游览了一番。
1) They were not leaving for...属于过去进行时表示将来的动作。
表示位置转移的瞬间动词。如: come, go, arrive, leave, start, return, stay, meet, get等可用进行时表示将来的动作; 用现在进行时表示一般将来时; 用过去进行时表示过去将来时。
The train is arriving soon. 火车就要进站了。
until常与否定句连用, not…until “直到……才”
He didn’t finish the work until yesterday.
I slept until midnight. 我一直睡到半夜时醒了。
Wait till I call you. 等着我叫你。
She didn’t arrive until 6 o’clock.她直到6点才到。
Don’t get off the bus until it has stopped. 公共汽车停稳后再下车。
a. not until …在句首, 主句用倒装。
Not until the early years of the 19th century did man know what heat is. 直到19 世纪初, 人类才知道热能是什么。
b. 用于强调句It is not until… that…
It was not until I told him that he knew about it. 直至我告诉他, 他才知道这件事。
3. In the distance, they could see the misty cloud that rose from the great Niagara Falls, which is on the south side of the lake.
[考点] distance n. 距离、远方,
in the distance 在远方、在远处
[考例] The faces of four famous American presidents on Mount Rushmore can be seen from a ___ of 60 miles. (2004全国卷 IV)
A. length B. distance C. way D. space
[点拨] 选B。题意: Rushmore山上四位美国著名总统的头像从相距60英里的地方就能看到。“a distance of + 数字”表示“……的距离”。
especially表示“尤其, 格外,特别”, 意思相当于“in particular ”或“particularly”。多用在介词短语或连词前面。
specially表示“为了一个特别的目的,专门地, 特别地”, 意思相当于“for a special reason or purpose”。
I came specially to see you.
The weather has been especially cold.
C. speciallyD. naturally
extremely表示程度“极其、非常”, specially表示“特地、专门”, 而naturally表示“自然地”, 均与句意不符。especially表示“尤其、特别、格外”, 强调突出性, 用在此处, 句意通顺。
as far as 有两种含义：
2) (表示程度，范围)就……；据……；至于……。as far as I know“据我所知”，
as far as I am concerned “就我而言”
[考例1] _____ I can see, there is only one possible way to keep away from the danger. (北京2004春)
A. As long as B. As far as
C. Just as D. Even if
[点拨] as far as I can see, 据我所知。
as long as 只要，表示条件；
even if 即使，表示让步；皆不符合语境。
as busy as a bee 像蜜蜂一样忙碌
as easy as ABC 像ABC一样容易
as deep as a well 像井一样深
as light as a feather 像羽毛一样轻
as soft as butter 像黄油一样软
as rich as a Jew 像犹太人一样富裕
6. The train left late that night and arrived in Montreal at dawn the next morning. 。
at, on, in表示时间的用法区别: at表示时间点, 常用来表示时刻, 如果一段时间按时间点对待也用at。
at 2:30, at dawn /noon /night /dusk /sunrise /sunset /breakfast /lunch dinner /supper,
at this /that time, at the beginning of this century
at也可以表示节假日, 例如: at Easter, at Christmas
on表示一天或某一天的一部分。 例如: on Monday, on September 26, on Monday morning, on Friday evening
in May, in spring, in 2002, in my childhood
注: morning, afternoon, evening, night这些名词如果有一个表示具体某一天的名词作定语时, 介词不用in 或at, 而应该用on。
如: on Thursday evening, on a cold winter morning, on the afternoon of April 8, on the night of his return
wide和broad 都是“广阔”的意思, 常可换用, 但 wide:着重于一边到另一边的距离,
broad:着重于幅面的宽广, 可修饰背、肩、胸, 心胸等的宽阔, 还有“开朗”之意。
The river is 300 feet broad (wide). 这条河有三百多尺宽。
The door is wide open. 门大开。
We saw the broad ocean. 我们看到了广阔的海洋。
His back (shoulder, chest) is broad. 他的背部(肩膀、胸部)很宽阔。
wide eyes 睁大的眼睛
a wide mouth 一张大嘴
the wide world 广阔的世界
wide interests 广泛的兴趣
a man with broad bosom 胸围很阔的人
the broad ocean 无际的海洋
broad shoulders 宽宽的肩膀
the broad masses 广大群众
broad chest (back) 宽宽的胸膛(背)
broad in size 身材宽大,体积宽大
8. The girls told him they were on a train trip across Canada and that they had only one day in Montreal. 女孩子们告诉他，她们是在乘火车穿越加拿大的旅行中，在蒙特利尔只呆一天。
①本句结构是: 主语(The girls) + 谓语(told) + 宾语(him) + 第一个宾语从句(they were on a train trip across Canada) + 第二个宾语从句(they had only one day in Montreal)。
②如果在一个复合句中有两个或两个以上并列的宾语从句, 第一个that可以省略, 第二个及以后的that不可以省略。
Iqaluit is the capital city of the new Canadian territory of Nunavut, on Baffin Island. Nunavut has a population of about 30,000, spread out over almost 2 million square kilometres. The area has a population density of one person per 100 sq kms.
Iqaluit has a population of 6,200, yet is the only city for thousands of miles in any direction. There are no roads in or out of Iqaluit. It is about 3.5 flying hours north of Ottawa, the capital of Canada.
He was writing a story for his newspaper about Iqaluit. They wanted to advertise it as a holiday place.
Read the passage and answer the questions.
Most people used snowmobiles, but dog sleds were also used.
3. Why did it become dark early?
It became dark early because it was far north of the earth.
Cold, but not too cold
Very cold, -35 degree average in winter
By dog sled
Tourists like ice fishing and photographing polar bears
Too cold for holidays
In ice houses
In warm houses
Dark in winter day, light in summer night
Light in daytime
six time areas
Weather is different
from area to area, long and hard winter
no places as hot as south china
Canada has two official languages, smaller population
Many rivers and lakes
World famous rivers and lakes
Much coal, oil gas and other natural resources
Much fresh water, a lot of forest
5. In many countries, young people still keep up the _______ (传统) that women get married in a long white dress.
6. The diligent student gets up before d____ every day.
8. I recognized my primary s_________ Mary in the photo.
9. I’ll give him a call from the phone b____ on the corner.
10. The d_______ from my house to school is 200 metres.
1. He _________ (confirm) everything you said.
2. Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, ______ (wealth), and wise.
3. The old man lives alone in that ______ (distance) little village.
5. Four weeks are often ____________ (approximate) regarded as one month.
6. The river grows _______ (broad) and broader as it nears the sea.
7. The whole village is against the suggestion to build an airport _______ (near).
8. The old lady was _______ (terrify) of crossing such a busy street.
9. He was _______ (please) with their warm welcome.
10. I was _________ (impress) by your wonderful performance at the party.
1. Have you got any idea when we shall leave ___ Rome?
2. This may occur in areas of high rainfall or in coastal areas where rivers flow ___ the ocean.
3. I usually walk along the path in the countryside __________ dusk.
at / around
5. Do you mind if we discuss a little business ____ dinner?
6. My parents often chat ____ me after supper.
7. Write these words __ small letters, not capital letters.
9. Can’t you look ____ your examination exercises again?
10. We used to walk _____ the river when we lived in this village.
downtown / along
1. 我好像听到远处有说话声。(in the distance)
I seemed to hear a voice in the distance.
2. 他和他的朋友一起步行到公共汽车站。 (as far as)
He walked with his friend as far as the bus station.
The father wants the children to be close to him.
4. 许多年轻女孩梦想成为时装模特儿。(dream of)
Many young girls dream of becoming fashion models.
5. 有一天大约黄昏时，我看到一个小孩在街上讨饭。(around dusk)
One day I saw a boy begging in the street around dusk.
6. 天亮时，他发现自己躺在一个山谷底处。(at dawn)
At dawn, he found himself lying at the bottom of a valley.
7. 你最好证实一下他的飞机确实是在8点起飞。（make sure that）
You’d better make sure that his plane takes off at 8:00.
8. 直到失去健康，他才知道了健康的价值。（not ... until ...）
He didn’t realize the value of health until he lost it.
Read the two passages again and find the main characters of Toronto, Montreal and Iqaluit. What can you see and do in the three different cities?