Lab Group Projects. Timeline. Today : Turn in preliminary question for your project Monday after Spring Break (3/24) : I will give them back with comments
1. How many bacteria are in ________ (a kitchen sponge? your
washed hand? lunch meat? mascara? lettuce? etc.)
2. Comparing the number of bacteria in a variety of water samples
(drinking water/James River/toilet water).
3. Comparing the survival of a pathogenic indicator organism (such
as E. coli) on wood vs. plastic cutting boards. The FDA requires
plastic cutting boards in food preparation, arguing that they are
easier to clean. However, recent reports suggest that bacteria
disappear from wood surfaces much faster. *
4. Examining microbiology in the home/school/dorm/kitchen etc.
Where are bacteria found in greatest abundance? How
contaminated is a sponge that is used several times a day to
5. Examining the variation of numbers of bacteria in different
habitats. Examining the abundance of bacteria on the same
person (swabbing hands, armpits, toes, etc.).
6. Examining bacterial variation over time. But how soon after
washing your hands do bacterial numbers rise, and to what
extent? Bacterial numbers in old (expired) vs. fresh eggs?
7. Determining the antibiotic resistance profile of bacteria found on
your cell phone/iPad/iPod/computer etc.