S-38.310 Thesis Seminar on Networking Technology. Topic: Investigation of Denial of Service(Dos) attack in Wireless LAN Author : Jing Jin Instructor : Michael Hall Supervisor: Prof. Sven-Gustav Häggman S-72 Communication Engineering laboratory. Presentation Outline.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Investigation of Denial of Service(Dos) attack in Wireless LAN
Author: Jing Jin
Instructor: Michael Hall
Supervisor: Prof. Sven-Gustav Häggman
S-72 Communication Engineering laboratory
The objective of this Thesis is to
In a DoS attack, an attacker attempts
DoS attacks are mainly implemented by
There are two forms of brute force:
- Packet-based brute force attack
It brings significant overhead of network
- Very strong radio signals
Disrupt the network
- use other computers on the network to send useless packets all the time
- use a very powerful transmitter in a relatively close range
However, the use of very strong radio signal is risky because the WLAN owners can find the attacker by AirMagnet tool.
DoS attacks target many different layers of the wireless network
- sending large amount of legitimate requests to an application
- sending many TCP connection requests to a host
- conducted by sending a large amount of IP data to a network
- data link attacks are launched to disable the ability of hosts to access the local network.
- target either a host or a network
- ”backhoe attack”, a heavy-equipment operator accidentally cut a communication cable, take down services potentially
- creating a device that produces lots of noise at 2.4GHz frequency is both easy and cheap
- Cordless phones have the capability to take an 802.11 network offline
The ways to respond to a DoS attack:
- plans additional capacity before an attack begins
-noncritical services can be degraded, or disable them if necessary
- Shut down services until the attack has subsided
The fundamental protection solutions against DoS: