Volunteer Directors… Leaders in Volunteer Engagement. Florida Association of Directors of Volunteer Services September 30, 2009 Facilitator: Betty Stallings. Agenda . Introductory Comments Distinguishing between the Management and Leadership components of your position
Florida Association of Directors of Volunteer Services
September 30, 2009
Fun, Networking and…
2 KEY Leadership Roles of DVS:
What I need to know before trying to influence:
What I need to know (continued)
New Strategy to Influence:
Think of a time when a volunteer or staff did not come through for you. Is there anything you might have done that could have averted this disappointment?
Role of Volunteer Director is to empower all staff and leadership volunteers to effectively engage volunteers in meeting the mission of the organization.
1. Are you seen in this role and is it clearly spelled out in your job description?
2. Do you have access to staff to provide training in supervision of volunteers?
3. How much time do you currently allocate to enhancing staff and leadership volunteers’ competency in utilizing volunteers?
Imagine what your organization could accomplish with 100 new ideal volunteers
Barriers surfaced from staff, volunteers, administration, board, vol. manager, etc., keeping your from the above vision
Have all who contributed to the listing of barriers now discuss strategies, potential solutions and resources to address these barriers.
See handout examples:
Preparing and Welcoming Volunteers
Request for volunteers
Role of Staff in supervising volunteers
1. Determine staff and leadership volunteer training needs
2. When are some occasions to provide the education?
3. What are some methods to provide the training/education?
4. How do you develop staff interest and involvement?
5. What are some resources to assist with the training?
6. What are some methods to evaluate the success of the training/coaching, etc.?
Provides tools, training support to build commitment and competency among all staff/leadership volunteers who partner with volunteers
Position Design Difficult Volunteers
Recruitment Program Evaluation
Interviewing Risk Management Volunteer Motivation Recognition
As a result of attending this session today I plan to: