Millennium Development Goals. 1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. halve the proportion of people living in extreme poverty between 1990 and 2015
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A Philippine Capacity 2015 Proposal
9 August 2004
Sulo Hotel, Quezon City
According to the recent UN Common Country Assessment:
* The poverty situation continues to be serious.
* The country’s environment & natural resources on w/c 2/3 of the population depend, continue to be degraded.
* Globalization is providing both opportunities & risks.
* Globalization has ushered a new context & connectivity among actors & activities.
* SMEs,comprising 99% of enterprises &
providing 76% of labor force has been
recognized as a “potent force in the war against poverty”.
* However, they only currently contribute 33% to total economic output because of:
a.) limited access to credit.
b.) underdeveloped sources of raw materials.
c.) limited access to modernizing technology.
d.) lack or low level of market information.
* SMEs’ unsustainable practices not only
undermine their productivity, but also result in
damage to the environment & adverse social
* The optimal functioning of SMEs is dependent
on a conducive policy environment, proper
provision of delivery of basic services &
presence of critical infrastructure.
* LGUs, through good governance, facilitate the
provision of the above.
* As a capacity building agent and repository of
technical information & knowledge, the Academe provides the manpower & technical
assistance direly needed by SMEs.
Strengthen key factors that catalyze the
sustainable development of communities e.g.
partnerships among and capacities of the key
actors at the local level-SMEs,LGUs & the
*Free enterprises are the drivers of economic
* Wealth creation by local SMEs simultaneously
address wealth & disparity issues.
* SMEs empower local people through control &
ownership of & benefits from productive dev’t., as well as, facilitate a high degree of participatory dev’t.
* SMEs w/c are locally initiated & managed are more
likely to be socially acceptable & culturally valid.
immediately felt & corrected at local levels.
* Facilitating investment flows to local areas
moderate the centrifugal flow of natural, financial & human resources to centers.
* With ICT, technical &market information are easier to provide to local SMEs.
Preparatory Assistance(PA) to undertake extensive consultations among stakeholders, experts and other interested parties to determine the elements, scope and methodology for the full blown project.
candidate sites & their rapid assess-
ment in terms of conditions,gover-
nance structures & inter-actions.
* PA to catalyze mechanism building&
strengthening of linkages among
Project Document (ProDoc)
Activity 1: Project scope determination &
formulation of site selection
Activity 2: Data gathering site selection.
Activity 3: Needs assessment for capacity
building of critical stakeholders.
Activity 4: Mechanism building/
Activity 6: Foster partnerships/networks.
Nine (9) months from start of PA