Breastfeeding Week 1-7 August. Public education presentation Presented by: add your name. Created by Inge Kleinhans, 2013 Public Relations Officer of JuPHASA. What is exclusive breast feeding?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Public education presentation
Presented by: add your name
Created by Inge Kleinhans, 2013 Public Relations Officer of JuPHASA.
1. Provides all of the infants nutrient requirements.
2. Antibodies and macrophages protect against certain infections.
3. Breast milk is easily digested.
4. Breast milk is hygienic, convenient and readily available.
5. It strengthens the psychological bonding process.
6. Lower incidence of allergies.
7. Less expensive.
8. Breastfed babies are rarely overweight.
9. Lower incidence of sudden infant death syndrome.
10. Breast cancer is less frequently in women who have breastfed.
11. Can suppress ovulation but isn’t safe to rely on as only method of birth control.
Every facility providing services and care for new-born infants should:
1. Have a written breastfeeding policy.
2. Train all staff to implement the policy.
3. Inform all pregnant women on the benefits of breastfeeding.
4. Help mothers to initiate breastfeeding within half an hour after birth.
5. Show mothers how to breastfeed and to maintain lactation.
6. Give new-born infants no milk or feeds other than breast milk.
7. Allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours per day.
8. Encourage natural breastfeeding and on demand.
9. Do not give or encourage the use of artificial teats or dummies.
10. Promote the establishment of breastfeeding support groups.
*Based on the UNICEF/WHO Joint statement 1989
First antenatal visit
* The South African Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines 2013
For more information and in depth videos on breast feeing please visit: