New Horizon English Book 2 Unit 1 Symbols of Culture. Content. Leading-in Exploring Reading through Background information Studying through Understanding questions Assignments Reading More Questions Practical writing. Leading in. Buildings can be symbols of culture.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
fast, save time, food is great, cheap, foreign feeling, environment
1. French fries = fries 炸薯条
2. southern a.南方的
3. golden （referring to color）金色的
gold （referring to quality）金质的
4. danger n.危险
dangerous a. 危险的
5. destroy: 毁坏
7. drive-thru: drive through
8. afford: v.（通常与can, be able
10. hamburger n.汉堡包
1. tear down 拆毁
2. in danger of 处于危险之中
3. agree with 意见一致，同意
4. line of thinking/thought 思路、想法
6. close down （使）停业
7. have nothing to do with
8. make sense 有道理
9. stop…from 阻止
10. even so 尽管如此
11. take away 带走；拿走；拆毁
1. It is located in the southern
California city of Downey.
2. They will tear down the oldest McDonald’s, because they think that it was damaged in an earthquake, that the restaurant is losing money and there is no room for a drive-thru window, or for seating inside.
3. If they destroy the restaurant, they will destroy people’s memories. It can be repaired.
What part do you agree with, the McDonald’s or the people who are against them?
familiar with these words and
purchasen. & vt.购买
opposev.反对 （oppose to）
murdern. & vt.谋杀
rush out: 赶紧出去
make a trip/trips to: 旅游
anything but: 根本不
more than a little: 非常
of the worst kind: 最糟糕的
at work: 在起作用
be opposed to: 反对
in detail: 详细地
sort of: 有一点
play out: 演出
long before: 早在…以前
be quick to do something: 很快做（某事）
claim on American culture:
The company increased its influence on America.
The influence of Disney is becoming far from small.
If people continue doing so, the world’s culture will lose its varieties.
1. What rare thing did the
Walt Disney Company do last
2. In what ways are people influenced by Disney?
3. According to Professor Bloom, what will happen if people continue to be influenced by Disney in such a way?
4. According to the text, what’s wrong with Disney films?
5. What is the main idea of the text?
1. It admitted that their plan to build another park in Virginia failed.
2. People eat Disney food, love to see Disney films and visit Disneyland and Disney World.
3. People will find themselves in the same culture all over－Disney’s culture.
4. Some films are not true to the history.
5. Disney is the symbol of American culture, though some people don’t like it.
Mr. Sun Zhiwei
Requests the pleasure of
company at ____________
on __________, the _____ of _____
at _______o’clock _______