TURKISH-ARAB BANKING PROSPECTS. Walid R. Alameddine Chairman Lebanon’s Banking Control Commission The Third Turkish-Arab Economic Forum June 12-13/2008 Istanbul. Contents: Regional Banking: Very Fast Growth Lebanese Banking System: Characteristics
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Walid R. Alameddine
Lebanon’s Banking Control Commission
The Third Turkish-Arab Economic Forum
Geographical Expansion Requirements:
Taking advantage of fast growth opportunities
Beyond sustainable growth model: Requirements
Capital Increases in Banks mostly coming from the region (Gulf, Egypt, Lebanese residing abroad).
2) Presence in most countries in the Region.
3) Management “exchanges” significant with banks in the region. Top management compensation now at levels of most competitive in the region.
4) Incremental increases in deposits coming mostly from the Gulf.
5) M & A" proposals” for Lebanese banks coming mostly from the region.
Dollars Millions (Gross)
Domestic 78,855 88,854 12.7% 110,000
Share of Total 86.5 81.1% - 50%
International 12,355 20,689 67.5% 110,000
Share of Total 13.5% 18.9% - 50%
Total 91,210 109,543 20% 220,000
* Including granted License ** Managed Affiliates*** Number of Banks having branches
Assets / GDP 1:1
Can go up to 1.5:1
A. Virtuous Trade/Investment cycle:
There is another important reason for investments between the Arab World and Turkey for me:
ARAP DUNYASI VE TURKIYE ARASINDAKI YATIRIMLAR ICIN MUTLU OLMAMIN BASKA BIR ONEMLI SEBEBI DAHA VAR :
YASASIN TURKIYE, YASASIN LUBNAN !