A New English Course (I) Unit 14
教学特色: • 1). 过对语法和结构的分析，加上实际的句型练习，增强学生口语的同时，提高学生的语法知识。 • 2). 把第二部分对话作为重点，通过对话阅读中的具体内容引出相关知识以及语言表达方式。
本单元教学重点(Teaching Points)： • 1) 系统学习直接引语和间接引语的主要知识 • 2) 如何向他人汇报情况或陈述事实 • 3) Dialogue I& II • 4) Reading I& II:
教学目的 (Teaching Aims)： • Revise some uses of direct speeches and indirect speeches. • To learn how to report sth. • Grasp some new words and expressions to enrich student’s vocabulary. • Do some oral work such as pre-reading questions, role play and interaction activities to help to develop the students’ oral communicative abilities. • Do some other after-class exercises including listening and translation to improve students’ comprehensive skills.
教学内容 (Teaching Contents) • Language structures • Language structure practice • Dialogue I & Dialogue II • Text I &Text II • Exercises
时间分配 (Time Allocation)： • Language structures & Practice ( 1 hour ) • Dialogue I & Dialogue II ( 2 hours ) • Text I &Text II ( 2 hours ) • Exercises ( 1 hour )
Language Structure PracticeTips for LSP I: • Asking for and reporting specific information
1. The introduction of direct speech and indirect speech 1) 在引语开头用连词that He said, “Mother, the boy is naughty.” He told his mother that the boy was very naughty. • 在动词say 后可以不加that
1. The introduction of direct speech and indirect speech 2) 根据意思改变人称 She said, “Your pronunciation is better than mine.” She said my pronunciation is better than hers.
3)引语中的谓语与句子的主要谓语一致 Kitty said, “I’ll call again after supper.” • Kitty said that she would call again after supper. • “Frank, I came to return you the book,” Henry said. Henry told Frank that he had come to return him the book. • Mary said, “I’m beginning to sleep better.” Mary said that she was beginning to sleep better.
4)根据意思将指示代词、地点及时间状语作必要的更动：4)根据意思将指示代词、地点及时间状语作必要的更动： • She said, “I will come here again tonight. She said she would go there again that night. • He said, “I arrived yesterday morning.” He said he had arrived the morning before. • She said, “My sister will be back tomorrow evening.” She said her sister would be back the following evening.
5)引用疑问句，引语中语序为陈述句语序 • The secretary asked, “What’s your occupation?” The secretary asked what my occupation was. • 一般疑问句、选择问句或反意疑问句引语前加whether 或 if 而不加that
2. Let students give examples.3. Listen to the dialogue and fill the blanks.
1) Listen: A: (What does the table say about colour TV sets?) B: It says that in 1991 for every one hundred households in shanghai there were 81.2 colour TV sets (and in 1996 the number rose to 112.6.) A: It means that in 1996 for every one hundred households, there were over 31 colour TV sets more than those in 1991. B: (Yes. And in terms of percentage,) the table says that there was an increase of 38.7 percent in 1996 over the figure for 1991.
2) Listen: A: According to the table, the 1991 figure for refrigerators is 92.2 for every one hundred households. (It means that on the average, every household had a little less than one refrigerator, doesn't it?) B: Yes, and in 1996 the table says 102.2 refrigerators per 100 households. (It means that two out of one hundred households owned more than one refrigerator.) A: The table gives the rate of increase as 10.8%. That’s rather high. B: (Yes, but generally, one family needs only one refrigerator.) Only families with excess money to spend will want to have more than one.
Language points: 1)the rate of increase as % 以％为增长率 2)air-conditioner 空调 3)household n. 一家人，家庭 e.g. I grew up as part of a large household. 我是在大家庭长大的。 household expenses, duties, goods 家庭的开销、事务、用品 a household name/ word 家喻户晓的名字或名称 4)one out of ten= one in ten 十个中有一个
Tips for LSP II: • Reporting a dialogue
A sample passage • Fang answered that she was ill; she has got a bad cold. Jin wanted to know if she was running a fever. Fang told him she had a temperature last night and it hadn’t come down yet. Then Jin asked if she had been to the clinic. Fang said that she took Lu to the clinic last night. The doctor didn't give her an injection as it wasn't serious. He just gave her some medicine. Jin asked Fang what medicine the doctor prescribed. Fang said the doctor gave her some Chinese herbal medicine and some aspirin. Fang also told Jin that Lu was a little better now.
2. Language points 1)Is she running a fever? 她发烧了吗？ run--- (esp. in a continuous tense) happen, arrive e.g. The trains are running an hour late. 火车晚点一小时。
2)Treatments in hospital • acupuncture针灸 • physical therapy理疗 • get vaccinated打预防针 • get a shot/ an injection 打针 • blood test血检 • urinalysis尿检 • take a temperature 量体温 • listen to the chest听一下胸部 3)Chinese herbal medicine 中草药 aspirin---a pain reliever阿司匹林
Tips for LSP III: • Reporting a telephone conversation
1. Listen to the dialogue and fill the blanks. Julia: Can I speak to Dr. Russell, please? It’s urgent Housekeeper: (I’m sorry, madam, bur the doctor’s not in. Will you leave a message?) Julia: Oh, dear! Oh, dear! My eight-year-old boy has swallow a fountain pen. When will the doctor be in? Housekeeper: (I’m afraid he won’t be in for two hours, perhaps three hours.) Julia: Three hours! What shall I do in the meantime? Housekeeper: (I’m afraid, madam, you’ll have to use a pencil.)
2. A sample passage • ...... The housekeeper replied that the doctor was not in. She asked Julia if she would leave a message. Julia was very upset when she heard that the doctor was not in. She said that her eight-year-old boy had swallowed a fountain pen. She asked the housekeeper when the doctor would be in. the housekeeper said that the doctor would not be in for two or perhaps three hours. Julia simply could not believe her ears. She wondered what she should do in the meantime. The housekeeper advised her to use a pencil instead.
Words and Expressions 1)swallow v. 吞下， 忍受 • Taking pills is easy; just put them in your mouth and ~. • He swallowed all the criticism without saying a thing.他默默承受一切责难。 • The aircraft was swallowed in the clouds. 飞机已没入云中。 • (Idiom) swallow one’s words : admit that someone said something wrong. • swallow the bait 上钩，中圈套 2)in the meantime = at the same time
Dialogue I I．Led-in questions and background information: 1. Can you list some fancy gadgets nowadays? How fancy they are? (mp3, computer, digital camera/ video, MD, cell phone, electronic dictionary……) 2. How have computers changed our life?
I．Led-in questions and background info: 3. What’s your attitude to the modern inventions? There can be a discussion about a specific invention. Divide the students in to two groups, one group is for it, and the other is against it. Try to list as many arguments as possible.
I．Led-in questions and background info: 4. computer companies and famous computer brands： China: STAR(实达) ACER（宏基）LENOVO（联想） FOUNDER（方正）HASEE（神舟） TONGFANG（清华同方）HEDY（七喜） abroad: DELL(戴尔) COMPAQ(康柏) TOSHIBA（东芝） APPLE(苹果) IBM=International Business Machine（国际商用机器） HP＝Hewlett-Packard（惠普）
I．Led-in questions and background info: II. Listening to the dialogue. III. Comprehension questions • Why does A call it the age of electronic invention? • What are the two kinds of brains mentioned in the dialogue? • What does B worry about? • Why doesn't A agree with B? • How does a computer solve problems? • Do you think one day we have a computer enough to match the human brain and human beings cannot control computers?
V. Words and Expressions 1.fancy adj. That’s a very fancy pair of shoes. 那是双非常别致的鞋 fancy vegetables 精选的蔬菜 fancy ideas/prices 过分的想法、高昂的价格 v. think, imagine; express surprise, disbelief I fancy it’s going to rain today. 我看今天要下雨 I fancy a cup of tea. 我想来杯茶。 Fancy that! 多奇怪啊 Fancy never having seen the sea！ 竟然从未见过大海
V. Words and Expressions 2.beyond our imagination 我们难以想象 • It won’t go on beyond the midnight. 这不会持续到午夜之后 • The bicycle is beyond repair. • He skill as a musician is beyond praise.她作为一个音乐家技巧令人惊叹不已。
V. Words and Expressions 3.be equipped with 装有 4.let me put it this way---let me explain it 5. 表示害怕的形容词 scared, frightened, fearful, afraid, terrified, 6. as a matter of fact--- in fact
V. Words and Expressions 7.The brain cells are interconnected in such a complicated way that we can’t begin to explain it as yet. 8.such….. that 如此……以至于…… 9.as yet: until now/then 10. gene 基因 clone 克隆
V. Words and Expressions 11.elaborate on --- give more information to; describe in detail 12. compare sth with sth 13.switch on/off 打开、关上 通常是灯、收音机等电器的开关用词
V. Words and Expressions 14.concern v. • be important to; affect e.g. Don't interfere in what doesn't concern you. 别管与自己无关的事情。 • ～ oneself with/ in/ about sth 忙于，关心某事 • as/so far as sb/ sth is concerned 就某人、某事而言 • what I’m concerned about--what I’m worried about
V. Words and Expressions 15.be in/ out of luck = be fortunate/ unfortunate 16.your worry is groundless: there’s no reason for you to worry
VI. Understanding of the dialogue: Optimistic view human brain: • Even the most complicated computer can't compare in complexity with the human brain. • As long as human beings create computers, they will never be the equal of a human brain.
Pessimistic view electronic brain: • Human beings may get beaten by computers. Computers are doing the work of the human brain in the family, office... • They not only work for us, they think for us. • An advanced computer can think like humans. • Mankind is not only creating an electronic servant, but also a threatening rival. • We may not be able to keep computers under our control.
1. How to express ability and inability • It is able to do the work of human brain. • We can’t begin to explain it. • It enables us to think creatively. • He is capable of finishing the task.
Practice with the following cues: • two students are discussing the sports meet next week • talking about the situation in the Dinning Hall • Tom brings his dog to the park. He talks about the dog with a passenger there.
2. Discussing different points of view 讨论不同观点 • You have your point of view, and I have mine. • You approach it in a different way than I do. • I won’t argue with you, but I think you’re being unfair. • That’s a liberal point of view. • He seems to have a lot of strange ideas. • I don’t see any point in discussing the question any further. • What alternatives do I have?
2. Discussing different points of view 讨论不同观点 • Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. • There are always two sides to everything. • We have opposite views on this. • Please forgive me. I didn’t mean to start an argument. • I must know your opinion. Do you agree with me? • What point are you trying to make? • Our views are not so far apart, after all. • We should be able to resolve our differences.
Practice with the following cues: • Do you think TV is a great invention? • Should college students do part-time job? • Do you think College Entrance Examination should be abolished? • Making friends on the internet • Knowing is hard or doing is hard • Campus romance
VI. Retelling • Sample outline: • B’s worry about the rapid development of computer technology. • A’s argument for the uniqueness of the human brain. • B’s further worry about the computer’s being a threatening rival of the human brain. • A’s conclusion that the human brain will not lose to the microchip.
VII. Oral practice • Look at the table in SB160, talk about the fancy gadgets in it? Using the sentence frames below.