Search Engine Marketing and Web Site Optimization. Nicole Howatt Instructor of Marketing. SuperBowl Ads. Biggest advertiser on SuperBowl? Anheuser Busch, Pepsi Cost for 30 seconds $2.5 million, 1986 was $550,000. Topics. Some stats Why should businesses have an online presence?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Instructor of Marketing
Biggest advertiser on SuperBowl? Anheuser Busch, Pepsi
Cost for 30 seconds $2.5 million, 1986 was $550,000
All other languages 13.6%
Source: Common Sense Advisory
Why go to a Web Site?
Questions for your web site:
“Blogging, I firmly believe, is the premier emergent marketing-brandbuilding-lovemarkcreating tool of our times! It is the premier way to have intimate-engaging-informative-WOWing "conversations" with Clients and prospects!” – Tom PetersBlogs
* With your customers
* With your competitors
* With your partners/investors
* With the media
Caveat: do not blog only for the sake of marketing & sales
Inbound links are votes for your site that Google takes seriously
- Charlene Lee, Forrester ResearchHow to Get Started
What is SEO?
SEO is the act of modifying a website to increase its ranking in organic (vs paid), crawler-based listings of search engines
How do organic search listings work?
- simple & short - use keywords, common words, advertising terms, product names- choose a keyword that is important for your business
2. Linking strategies- More inbound links, the higher the SE ranking - If site linking to you is already indexed, spiders will also receive your site- Quality of inbound links is critical
“A small number of inbound links from high-quality, relevant sites is more valuable than many links from low-traffic, irrelevant sites.”
3. Keywords- Important in optimizing rankings- Keywords are words that appear the most in a page- The spider chooses the appropriate keywords for each page, then sends them back to its SE - Your web site will then be indexed based on your keywords- Can be key phrases or a single keyword
Do not use common words (‘the’ ‘and’ ‘of’: spiders ignore them)- Always have text in your page: at least 7-10 of keyword for each 100 words
What is search engine marketing (SEM)?* SEM is the act of marketing a website via search engines by purchasing paid listings
What are paid listings?
* These are listings that search engines sell to advertisers, usually through paid placement or paid inclusion programs. In contrast, organic listings are not sold.
- No guaranteed ranking - Payment made on a Cost Per Click (CPC) basis
Meta description tag (or first para. of text if no meta has has been added)
2. Paid placements- Advertising programs where listings are guaranteed to appear in organic listings- the higher the fee, the higher the ranking
-Sponsored links and Google’s Adwords- Can be purchased from a portal or a search network - Search networks are often set up in an auction environment where keywords and phrases are associated with a cost-per-click (CPC) fee. - Google and Yahoo are the largest networks