Solving the ‘Einstein” puzzle. Carol Mullen MST Summer Program 2006 Daemen College.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
MST Summer Program 2006
There are no tricks, just pure logic.
1. In a street,there are 5 houses painted 5 different colors.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality.
3.These 5 homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke a different brand of cigar, and keep a different pet.
The question is: "Who owns the fish?"
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is next to and on the left of the white house.
5. The green house's owner drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10.The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.
1. The owner is the resident of each house.
2. One of the residents owns the fish.
3. The term neighbor in the last hint refers only
to a directly adjacent neighbor.
4. The houses are on the same side of the street.
5. They are next to each other, and are ordered
from left to right as you face them rather than
standing in front of a house facing the street
(i.e. facing the same direction as the house).
#8. The resident of the center house drinks milk.
#9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
Once we put the Norwegian in the first house, Hint #14 leads us to conclude that House #2 is blue. (It is the only house next to the Norwegian.)
The combo is only accommodated in house 4 and 5. House 4 is green with the coffee drinker (hint 5). House 5 is white(hint 4).
The cigar in house #1 is Dunhill (hint #7).
Hint #11 tells us that the horses are next to the man who smokes Dunhill, so they are next to house #1 and must be house #2
(Milk is in the center--hint 9;
green house drinks coffee--hint 5;
Dane drinks tea--hint 3, so tea is not the beverage for the Norwegian who lives in the first house--hint 9; and
the one who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer--hint 12--however the owner of the yellow house, the first house smokes Dunhill).
With milk, coffee, tea and beer contraindicated for house 1, the beverage in house 1 must be water.
Hint 6 tells us that Pall Mall rears birds, so the birds are also in House 3.
This leaves the fish a place only with German!