Dora Reader, USGS BRD Great Lakes Science Center. Steve Aichele, USGS WRD Michigan ... Eight states - Great Lakes watershed. Focus on fish (other aquatic ...
Aquatic Gap Analysis Project
U.S. Geological Survey
Aquatic Gap Goals
1) Delineate and map ecologically similar drainage areas.
2) Classify aquatic habitats in streams using regionally consistent methods (VST).
3) Develop aquatic biological databases at the State and regional scale.
4) Map known and predicted occurrence and distribution of fish and other aquatic species for streams.
5) Complete a gap analysis of fish and selected aquatic biota.
6) Serve these data on the Internet and CD ROM.
7) Analyze and interpret results at statewide, lakewide, and basinwide scales.
Stream Segment Classification:
Valley Segment Types
Valley segments stratify a continuous stream network
into distinct hydrogeomorphic patches
Unique Valley Segment Types
needed for Target Biota
Number of samples
1 - 10
11 - 67